Guess The +2 Part Quiz

PostPost by: leedsj » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:57 pm

before i go and do something crazy like learn to weld (which seems like an inevitability) does anyone have a spare one of these?
Attachments
plus2part.jpg and
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Sun Mar 02, 2008 8:13 pm

There is bound to be one on my spares car. But as I have no idea as to what it is give us a clue where its from and I will have a look.

I'm only just down the road from you it appears so no doubt it could be dropped off at some point.

Cheers,
Simon
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:59 pm

Do you get some sort of prize if you guess it right! LOL

I know exactly what it is because I just took one off my 70 +2 on Saturday morning. This is the moving portion of the boot latch release that attaches to the metal piece across the back of the boot (not the boot lid) If you turn it over it should bend up about 1/4 inch with a small hole in each of the ears that turns up. The rod that goes to the lever for the boot release attaches there. Then the other arm on the lever attaches to the release wire that goes to the handle in the driver side (US version) just behind the door. I'll take pictures in a few minutes. I have the whole mechanism including the black handled wire, sheath, lever, rod, release plate (this thing) and the spring latch that attaches to the boot lid itself.

I don't want to break up the set and will be putting it on ebay in a few days unless someone makes me an offer I can't refuse.

I'll post detailed pictures in a few minutes.

Dan
Beaufort, SC 843-379-8268
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:31 pm

Here are the pictures I promised. Some are from installed on the car and the others are the part out of the car.

Hope this helps.

Dan
Attachments
DSC00824.JPG and
Release handle, wire and sheath
DSC00823.JPG and
Another picture as laid out
DSC00822.JPG and
Parts laid out roughly as they go in the car, lever is on the right
DSC00811.JPG and
The part fits underneath this part and the lever wire pulls it over to release the latch
DSC00820.JPG and
Other side of the part, note the turned up tabs and holes in each end. One attaches to the rod and the other to a spring
DSC00819.JPG and
Part in angle in your photo
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:23 am

all sorted - thanks to Simon who came up with the requisite part (many thanks, Simon)
Thanks also to Dan for the offer... Beccles is a bit closer than Beaufort though ;)

your prize is merely the satisfaction of being a lotus geek of the highest order (a privilege, trust me)

james
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smokey73 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:01 pm

James,

Glad I could at least identify it so Simon could zero in on the part he needed to find. I would have never known what it was except for the fact that I had just taken the whole mechanism apart the day before you posted your inquiry. It is kind of hidden below the latch hole.

I'm glad you could find the part. I assume you are reassembling a +2 or otherwise you would have been riding around with your boot open!

Good luck in your project.

Dan
smokey73
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: leedsj » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:07 pm

no, i use my jps stealth bomber pretty much daily. the part broke at the weekend, leaving the boot flapping. installing the replacement today was a pig though - easy to take off, bloody IMPOSSIBLE to get back on - trying to pull that spring enough to latch on to it... i'm there now though, and Norfolk's b-roads got a fly-past today ;)
leedsj
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: