What should be expected when driving a 69' Elan+2

PostPost by: Elan+2Novice » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:32 pm

As my handle suggests I'm a novice to the Elan+2, inherited the car....and love it....but have only driven American cars...so don't know what to expect. Driving Behavior....usually starts when cold with the choke, but resists starting when it has been driven for 30 minutes...someone suggested I am drowning the carbs? Also, after warm and been driven for 30+ minutes, idles nicely for about 2 minutes, then the engines dies....is this normal? This car hates heavy traffic, have to constantly rev the engine, or will stall....is this normal? Stalling and not starting leaves me feeling very vulnerable....is this normal for this car or operator error? Thanks so much for any feedback. Also, I live near Lake Tahoe so am thinking the altitude and temperature may have a significant effect on performance? ---- Cheers, Linda
Elan+2Novice
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:47 pm

Linda,
The cars can be a bit temperamental but should not be cutting out, I lived in S.Africa for many years at an altitude of almost 6000 feet, the alitude and heat will effect the performance but the car should run O.K. I would suggest you take it to a shop who have experience with these cars ( or experience with the carbs.....I think you will have Stromburgs) for a check and tune up.
The car is probably fitted with emission controls and and these can give problems, an experienced shop should be able to sort it out for you.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:23 pm

Ohh, school boy error Linda :o You used the choke?

I read somewhere that the choke on a +2 should only be used when the temp is below -6. I just give the throttle two pumps before I start it and then as it starts rev it to 1500 RPM for about 10 seconds and it is ready to drive.

Try this next time :)

The engine floods really easy, I am surpised you get it to start with the choke out, you must have a very good battery. The cutting out could just be the plugs getting soaked. Try starting the car and running without the choke and see how it goes. If it still cuts out when hot with no choke, the first suspect would be the points (contact breakers). If you still have not luck check fuel mixture and ignition timing.

Let us know how you get on.

Welcome to the forum :D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:23 pm

Ohh, school boy error Linda :o You used the choke?

I read somewhere that the choke on a +2 should only be used when the temp is below -6. I just give the throttle two pumps before I start it and then as it starts rev it to 1500 RPM for about 10 seconds and it is ready to drive.

Try this next time :)

The engine floods really easy, I am surpised you get it to start with the choke out, you must have a very good battery. The cutting out could just be the plugs getting soaked. Try starting the car and running without the choke and see how it goes. If it still cuts out when hot with no choke, the first suspect would be the points (contact breakers). If you still have not luck check fuel mixture and ignition timing.

Let us know how you get on.

Welcome to the forum :D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MintSprint » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 pm

You need to tell us what sort of carburettors your car is fitted with, Linda, as the starting procedures are different.

WEBER/DELLORTO CARBURETTORS

Identifiable by 4 separate inlet runners coming out of the cylinder head on the right hand side. Also, the carburettors (bolted to these runners on the right hand side of the engine) will have 'Weber' or 'Dellorto' cast into them somewhere on top! :wink:

If the car is on Webers or Dellorto's, you shouldn't need the choke to start from cold unless it is really cold. Normally, a couple of pumps on the throttle, then turn the key and it should fire. you may need to blip the throttle for a few seconds before it will idle happily and it is good practice to let it warm for a couple of minutes before driving off, otherwise it will tend to cough and sneeze a bit at first.

When starting from hot on Webers, you should not depress the throttle, as it is easy to 'flood' the engine. If the engine fails to start, depress the throttle slightly, but release it when the engine fires. If you have real problems starting (ie. if you have flooded it) press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there - do not pump!! - turn the key and let the engine crank with the throttle full open until it fire, then release the throttle immediately.

STROMBERG CARBURETTORS

These can be identified by two 'Y' shaped inlet runners on the right hand side of the engine - ie. four outlets from the engine merging to two where they connect to the carburettors. Also, the carburettors have domed tops, a bit reminiscent of the 'onion' domes on Russian churches.

Contrary to Jason's advice (which I assume was intended to apply to Weber or Dellorto equipped cars), you probably will need a bit of choke to start a Stromberg car from cold.

There is absolutely no point pumping the throttle on a Stromberg, 'cos they don't have accelerator pumps!

Stromberg equipped cars can be a bit difficult to start when hot. If the engine doesn't start when you turn the key, press the throttle pedal all the way to the floor and hold it there while operating the starter; release the throttle as soon as the engine starts

TRAFFIC MANNERS

The cutting out on prolonged idling and stalling in traffic is not normal for a Lotus Twin Cam engine in good health and tune - they are noted for their tractability and good manners when they are correctly set up.

Stromberg carburettors have a habit of icing up under prolonged high-speed running (particularly in cool, damp weather), so the engine may die if, for instance, you have been running at high speed then come to a halt at a junction. If this happens, leave the car for a few minutes and the heat soak from the engine will melt the ice and the engine should start and run fine.

You will probably need an expert to cure your running problems, unfortunately, so I won't bother going into diagnostics here unless you want me to...your best bet is to get the car to a reputable tuner of 'classic' carburettor equipped cars.
MintSprint
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Elan+2Novice » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:13 pm

Thank you all for your feedback...it has helped tremendously....will take the car to a knowledgable mechanic and modify my starting/driving habits....btw it has Delortto carbs. As you all know they are so much fun to drive, especially the handling....spins on a dime. :D Thanks, Linda
Elan+2Novice
New-tral

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:13 am

Mine has Dellorto's (as did my last one) and both seem to start much easier with the choke, especially if it's been standing for a few days.

I read somewhere (long time ago) that Dellorto's worked a bit differently to webbers insomuch as pumping the throttle before starting didn't achieve much. Dunno if this is true but it works for me (and it hasn't caught fire yet!)
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Emma-Knight » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:00 pm

Hello Linda,

in case You can't find a Lotus service"able" shop, it might be useful to look for a skilled classic Alfa Romeo shop as they should know how to work on Dellortos and have the balancing tools.

:wink: Anna

PS when engine is turned off "hot", it heats up the carbs while standing, thus heating up fuel in the float chamber. This heated fuel is steamed up and not usable for the engine.
Pressing the pedal down on starting lets the engine breathe the "bad"vapor
out of the carbs and lets new fresh fuel in. The full down pedal means fully opened throttle flaps and full, quick breathe.
1965 S2
Emma-Knight
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Hamish Coutts » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:24 pm

Robbie693,

Dels definately do have throttle pumps, much the same as Webbers. I've just rebuilt mine and replaced the pump diaphrams as part of that job. I can also see petrol squirting down the throat of the carb when moving the throttle.

My +2 starts without the choke no matter the weather. It just needs a few more dabs of the throttle in Winter time.

Hamish.
"One day I'll finish the restoration - honest, darling, just a few more years....."
Hamish Coutts
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: