the pain of changing the dizzy cap .. . .

PostPost by: thor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:25 pm

This might be a very silly question, but I'm away from the car and trying to plan my car-fixing schedule.
Is it viable to change the dizzy cap with only taking the air box off my +2S, with Lumenition cables etc.,as it seems a right pain to get at under the Dellortos.

I've got a guilty conscience from my ?70 cap and leads from Magnecor lying on the shelf...............
Thor Svaboe
1973 +2S130/5 white/silver

http://thorsvaboe.googlepages.com
thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: iain.hamlton » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:50 pm

Thor, I manage without even taking off the airbox, by taking it forward. Just depends which way round it is, and where your expansion bottle is etc. - iain
iain.hamlton
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:10 pm

I can just about manage it on my +0 and from what I can tell there is enough room to hold a disco under the bonnet of a +2 so it ought to be easy. You can guarantee it won't be though :)

All the more reason to do the awkward jobs in midwinter, indoors when no one sane drives an Elan and leave the summer for driving not tinkering.

:lol:
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:08 pm

Brilliant. I'll be down in the garage with numbered cellotape bits for the plug leads ready to pull it out then..
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 4:49 pm

Thor

I changed mine recently and found it no problem :? I do have Webers though and mine in not a 'S'.

I took off the cap and fitted the Lumenition without too much of a problem. The dizzy clip on the left side was a bit fiddly but nothing to worry about.

You will be fine :D

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:12 pm

Wow Jason, changing the cap yes, but fitting the lumenition, without taking off the carbs! You're either a genius or must have very thin arms equipped with 2 extra joints, I'm impressed....
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:06 am

Shouldn't be a problem to just change the cap, or even change/adjust the points. I've even managed to remove the whole thing with the carbs in place. There's more room than there looks (for once!)
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: M100 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:00 am

The distributor was one area that all the classic car buyers guides in the early 80's referred to as a bugger of a job to work on.

After a couple of days of ownership more or less the first job I did on my Elan was changing the points. With the aid of a magnetised screwdriver and more nimble hands than I have now it was relatively easy to do. Compared to doing the same job on a Mini van with no removable grille it was a piece of p*ss. :)
Martin
72 Sprint DHC
M100
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:08 am

excellent!

Another question completely off topic, conical K&N filter in the nose versus the standard paper filter, good or bad?
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 11:45 am

Thor

Dyno tests I did with and without the filter in the nose showed no difference. So the K&N is not going to change performance even if it looks nicer than the original rusty can.

Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:35 pm

remove the cap and rotor ---loosen the clamp and the distributor can be lifted out with the carbs in place ----ed
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 6:11 pm

Thor

I looked at removing the carbs and then thought how I would tighten the carb nuts underneath to leave a 1mm gap and thought f*ck that!!

I have had much practice on many Minis over the years so am well versed to bruised knuckles :lol:

I am thinking about renewing the carb seals before I give the engine a tune, but am putting it off. I have a long list of jobs to do before that.

The Lumenition was not that bad really, I thought it would be worst :)

Take off the cap and rotor, unscrew the two screws holding on the dizzy top plate (that the points sit on) and you can lift everything out. Cut the brass peg down and fit the optical unit. Slap it back in and you are good to go :D The worst thing is where to locate the control unit, I mounted mine ontop of the master cylinders as I was working outside in the rain squeezed up against a fence. I will move the unit one day :)

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:09 am

Now that wa exactly my thought (the 1mm gap underneath), so I've just waited. The Lumenition fortunately is already there, all I'm doing is fitting the rather expensive red KV85 Magnecor competition plug leads and a new dizzy cap drilled out by Magnecor to take the fatter leads. ...and fitting new BP6ES plugs at the same time.
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:57 am

Thor
I have the K&N cone filter in my Elan. (see pics on website)
There are advantages to fitting them.
Mine is fitted to the inner wing so it is no longer sat infront of the radiator blocking air flow. Also easier to maintain, mine can be removed and checked in under a minute
By fitting a K&N it should also do a better job of filtering the air than the old paper type it will also stay cleaner and not clog up so easily.

There is a very slight increase in induction roar but nothing to excessive.

Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: thor » Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:56 am

Please send me a price for the K&N kit + the flexy air hose you've got.
Thor Svaboe

thor
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: