+2 with elan nose

PostPost by: eliter » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:50 pm

Here is a Plus 2 with a front similar to an Elite Climax; I have seen this car and the nose treatment works quite well.I only have this one picture from when it was sold on Ebay about six years ago, anyone know the owner?
Attachments
plus2elitefront.JPG and
eliter
New-tral

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:45 am

eliter wrote:Here is a Plus 2 with a front similar to an Elite Climax; I have seen this car and the nose treatment works quite well.I only have this one picture from when it was sold on Ebay about six years ago, anyone know the owner?

Best looking +2 I've ever seen. :wink:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:07 am

eliter wrote:Here is a Plus 2 with a front similar to an Elite Climax; I have seen this car and the nose treatment works quite well.I only have this one picture from when it was sold on Ebay about six years ago, anyone know the owner?

Is that a one-piece front hinged section? Looks like a Triumph latch on the side in front of the vent...

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:02 pm

That's what I was thinking. The access would almost make the conversion worth while . . . :shock: :wink:

Seriously, though, it's an interesting combination of "old" and "new".
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Sea Ranch wrote: Seriously, though, it's an interesting combination of "old" and "new".

It reminded me of something...otoh perhaps not!

No Comparison.jpg and

Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Didi » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:01 pm

Trevor Sparrow put long time ago (1999 or 2000) these pictures on his website:

ImageImageImage

The Lotumph

At this year's Donington show David Smith was there with a much modified +2. Featuring a lengthened Spyder chassis to accommodate a six cylinder Triumph engine, this car has a re-modelled front end with what appear to be Elite front wings joined by a GT6 bonnet. I gather that David purchased the car in this modified form and I can only assume the previous owner was some sort of genetic scientist as he has created the nearest thing to Dolly the Sheep with four wheels. Have a look at the pictures below and see what you think. In its favour, it makes access to the engine much easier if the front hinges forward in this way.
--------------Greetz, Didier -------------The destination is irrelevant, when the journey is in a Lotus![/list]
Didi
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:12 pm

Didi wrote:Trevor Sparrow put long time ago (1999 or 2000) these pictures on his website:

ImageImageImage

Didier,

Thankyou for the info.
I have read an account (by Ron Hickman I think) that, early on, Colin Chapman envisaged that the +2 would have a straight-6 (Ford) engine!

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 pm

Hi,

It is still out there somewhere.

Checked out the reg on the DVLA website and got the info below.

The vehicle details for XLF 20G are:
Date of Liability 01 05 2012
Date of First Registration 01 09 1968
Year of Manufacture 1968
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 2000cc
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type PETROL
Export Marker N
Vehicle Status Licence Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval Not Available

Still taxed and with a 2 litre lump, I assume the Triumph straight six that Trevor Sparrows piece mentions.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:45 am

Yes, thanks for the great pix and info, Didi and Chris.

Regarding the success of this grafting job . . . it seems to me that, though I love both body shapes, the Triumph (at least the original version Spitfire, and certainly the E-type from which it sprang) is rounded front and back, while the Plus 2 has sharper corners and lines, front and back. They both work, but not when you splice them together. The large, rounded headlight curves of the Triumph don't - to my eye - fit the sharper rear of the Lotus.

(to say nothing of the questionable value of the 2 liter Triumph mill over the Lotus twink . . . :shock: )

But it's lovely to see it anyway :mrgreen:

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jono » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 am

Couldn't agree more Randy - each end nice in isolation but totally wrong when combined :?

Apparently Chunky decreed that the plus 2 should have the rear of an Elite and the front of a BRM or some such racing car. You can see the influence of the Elite at the rear but oddly it does not work when the front is add (IMHO).

Reference the straight 6 engine, I thought Chunky had considered the small capacity Daimler V8 out of the SP250 - could have been interesting?

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Robbie693 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:41 am

jono wrote:
Apparently Chunky decreed that the plus 2 should have the rear of an Elite and the front of a BRM or some such racing car.
Jon

I think that was the BRM gas turbine sports racer, can't remember the story fully but I recall it had something to do with Lotus being involved with the wind tunnel testing for the BRM car and utilised the data for the Plus 2. Or maybe they just piggy-backed on the BRM sessions and stuck the Plus 2 prototype through at the same time! Or maybe I'm making this up!

Pics here:

http://www.octane-magazine.com/features/octane_features/227022/whoosh.html

Robbie
Robbie693
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:38 am

Well, whatever "Chunky" may or may not have said (who is this "Chunky"?), the car in the link has tons of lines similar to the Plus 2: the sharp lines on the tops of the front wings, the front end from side profile, and the rear end. Very nice car. They do appear to have influenced each other somehow.

Thanks for the post. :)
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elancoupe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:21 am

Sea Ranch wrote: (who is this "Chunky"?)

Chunky - ACBC
Mike
elancoupe
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:32 am

I wondered, but then dismissed the idea as being far too irreverent for this crowd! :wink:

Thanks for clarifying . . .
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:25 am

Sea Ranch wrote:I wondered, but then dismissed the idea as being far too irreverent for this crowd! :wink:

Thanks for clarifying . . .

"Irreverent"?

I can't pinpoint it now, but I'm pretty sure "Colin Manchap" and "Graham Armhole" were referred to in one of the "Lotus World" magazines...! :)

(provided by Tim: elan-f15/lotus-world-great-resource-t22192.html Thanks again Tim)

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: