Elan +2, accessing the boot release cable

PostPost by: ipro » Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I recently acquired a 1971 Elan +2 and need to reattach the boot release cable handle which has loosened from where it is seated inside the door frame on the driver's side (left hand drive car). There is an access panel on the inside of the left rear wheel well but the screws holding it on just spun when I tried to remove it. Before I do something more to gain access, is this the best way? Any advice very welcomed!

The loose handle (appears that the securing nut within the body cavity has simply come undone):
Elan +2 boot pull handle close up.jpg and
Last edited by ipro on Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
ipro
New-tral

PostPost by: ipro » Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:52 am

Sorry previous image posted 90 degrees off vertical.

This is the access panel I am referring to at the front of the left rear wheel well.
Elan +2 wheel well panel small.jpg and
ipro
New-tral

PostPost by: alanr » Tue Oct 08, 2024 4:52 am

You will need to remove the access panel to get to the nut on the reverse side of cable release knob which looks as if it has come unscrewed. It is the only way to access the nut.
The access panel screws are merely self tappers that screw into the car body so if they spin perhaps you can get something on them to pull at the same time as screwing, pliers, pincers, or a small flat head screwdrive to lever at the same time etc and then they should come out and enable you to remove the access panel.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Steve Brooks » Tue Oct 08, 2024 11:05 am

Hi, on my +2 to remove the access panel (sill closing plates) my screws go through the body and fix on flat nuts.This means loosening the rear interior rear quarter panel and moving it to the side after removing the parcel shelf and lifting out the rear seat back.Regards Steve
72 Elan +2S 130/5
Steve Brooks
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: