Plus 2 chassis tolerances

PostPost by: m1dge » Sat Oct 05, 2024 8:59 pm

It's time to address the chassis but before it goes off for blasting I thought I would take some measurements.

The back end appears to be ok, apart from the plate under the diff being a bit bowed, however the front end I'm a bit unsure of.

The distance between the two lower pickup pins is correct at 551 mm but the the upper ones measure 693 mm when the manual says it should be 701.6 mm. The towers still seem strong, both point outwards at the same angle (2° 05') and the diagonals across the tops of the front towers match. The manual also shows the angle the towers should lean back toward the rear. I'm assuming, as there are two values, that this is a range of between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 degrees. My measurements are 2° 26' on the offside (UK) and 3° 08' on the nearside. This translates to a difference of 5mm when measuring the diagonals from front to rear.

Anyone have any thoughts on these values and if they're within tolerance or can give me a measurement between the tops of the front towers.

I've also attached a couple of pictures as there are two 'creases' where the towers are welded to the frame. I don't see this on pictures of other chassis and wondered if this was something to do with early models. They just seem too uniform not to be by design. Opinions please !

tower 1.jpg and
tower 2.jpg and

Thanks Andy
m1dge
New-tral

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:07 pm

Hi

I have seen those creases before on standard chassis. Dimensionally it sounds OK to me. In my experience of both standard and Spyder chassis there can be a lot of variability.

If it is not a replacement chassis I would look very carefully for any cracks that you might not have noticed. They do crack. You do not want to be doing this job twice.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: m1dge » Sat Oct 05, 2024 9:38 pm

Thanks Berni, good to know about the creases.

Couldn't see any cracks but I will be checking again between blasting and spraying. You're quite right I don't want to go through this pain again.

I was considering a new chassis and if the measurements were too far off then that's probably what I would do.

Andy
m1dge
New-tral

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Oct 05, 2024 10:47 pm

Hi

Blasting will reveal any cracks quite nicely. I have been there!

Best of luck

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: