Road wheel choice mistake, how did it happen?

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:20 pm

Hi Guys

Over the past few years I have posted comments and started threads on the subject of ET (offsets) of various non-standard road wheels that we collectively fit to our plus 2's.

Personally I cannot bear to look at cars that have offsets that are too low and subsequently "whacky racer" stick out wheels. Prime offenders tend to be the Spyder Cars that use their full in house developed suspension offering. Often not helped because of the wider tyres often fitted also. Plus 2's with period Wolfrace wheels seem to suffer similarly.

So anyways, I am building up a full Spyder Zetec chassis and the time came for the wheels. I wanted to avoid the whacky racer look at all costs. I had been rolling the chassis around on some 14" Ford steel wheels (as found on fiestas etc) with an ET of about 38 I think it was. This gave me a track of about an inch more than standard (so 1/2" each side approx) Something I could live with. Also its probably the highest offset before brake clearance becomes an issue. For comparison I think Spyder use a minilite (or minilite alike) offset of 22mm on their cars.

I also had a couple of other rolling chassis with ,more standard suspension set ups lying around so it was not like it was difficult to make comparisons.

Long story short, I got hold of some minilite (alikes) that came off a late 60's Alfa, ET is 38, so I have them powdercoated silver, new 175/70/14 tyres put on , and yes, they stick out too much. I just could not believe it. Something has gone wrong somewhere.

So I am going to get the 14" ford steel wheels painted and the tyres swapped over. I do actually like the design being quite reminiscent of the standard 13" steel wheels. I am going to try to get the rims chromed with black centres like the originals, but if not possible them the whole wheel bright silver.

I will post on the outcome with some more photos anon.

Please ignore my friend Bob in some of the photos and also the comedy wheel arch gaps caused by Spyders grossly over long springs.

All the best

Berni
Attachments
IMG_9439 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9441 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9442 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9443 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9440 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9438 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9437 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9436 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9435 Large.jpeg and
IMG_9434 Large.jpeg and
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Oct 05, 2024 4:52 pm

Hi

This is one of the steel wheels.

Tks

Berni
Attachments
IMG_1267 Large.jpeg and
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus 50 » Sat Oct 05, 2024 11:52 pm

I still have the factory 13s, but mine are knock off. Is the offset on the Spyder knock off wheels correct?
Lotus 50
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sun Oct 06, 2024 1:15 am

Is is a combination of 14” rim and 175 x70 profile tyres as the pictures show a lot of tyre wall”bag”. Ordinarily you would reduce profile as you increase width and definitely if you increase tin diameter to maintain rolling radius.
Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sun Oct 06, 2024 2:12 am

My observation is..
I think a better tyre size choice would have been 180 or 185/60/14's however you haven't mentioned the wheel width of these Alfa rims you have fitted.. 5.5J or 6J?
I agree they don't look right at present but I think they may look slightly better if you changed the overly high springs and the car sat lower putting the wheel more into the arches.

I recently tried to sort some new Minilites out for my +2 but for the time being I have parked the idea due to Minilite refusing to discuss Offset (ET) options! and Spyder also unwilling to discuss Offset and will only supply 'their' version of a 14x6 alloy rim.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=54704

I think a 14x5.5 alloy rim is a better bet but at what offset to top them hitting the spring perch?

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: