CV driveshaft conversion

PostPost by: ragtop » Thu Aug 08, 2024 1:17 pm

Hi all thinking of a CV conversion,but would like to know who makes the CV joints on the ones available in the UK.I have heard that they are made by shaftec of Singapore which from their website looks to be a good setup,they say that they supply 99% of the european market.I have asked kelvadon ,but all I got was they were supplied by a company in the UK,but they are obviously not made in the UK,as I doubt are the GKN ones.So has anyone any ideas
ragtop
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Thu Aug 08, 2024 4:58 pm

Hi,
When I bought shafts from Kelvedon they came with Shaftec boxes with the type number blanked out used as packaging.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Aug 08, 2024 6:43 pm

Hi There

CV joints are generally made to standard dimensions and I think there are two sizes which have been used to make up the drive shaft conversions for the Elan.

The ones I have use 100 mm OD, 25 spline bore joints with 6 x 8mm bolt holes on 86mm PCD. I've recently replaced the joints with a set of SKF VKJA 8688. They aren't made in Sweden but they're a fine joint and perfectly OK for road use.

I think the other joint commonly used is 94 mm OD, 33 spline bore joints with 6 x 8mm bolt holes on 78mm PCD but I havn't seen any of these so can't be sure.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TonyA » Thu Aug 08, 2024 7:07 pm

I also tracked down Shaftec as the source of the Kelvedon's (legacy Sue Miller ) CV joints:.This was to try to buy a couple of the 7/16 unf studs that I had managed to mangle threads while hammering them into tight hub drive ears holes (a long story..) .Kelvedon had no studs at hand and were waiting for supplies: delivery date unsure. I don't know about Singspore; the company I found is in the Midlands in UK; and I spoke to them by phone; they were very freindly but Elan CV joints are not at the forefront of their business, they confirmed they supply Kelvedon but clearly preferred to deal with their customers, not their customers' customers. Here is their website.

https://www.shaftec.com

Tony

PS. I ended up making the studs from the original donut bolts..
Last edited by TonyA on Fri Aug 09, 2024 9:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
TonyA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: andyelan » Thu Aug 08, 2024 10:27 pm

Hi Everyone

Are we talking about the entire driveshaft assembly (splined shaft, adaptors, cv joints etc.) or just the actual CV joints themselves)

Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: ragtop » Fri Aug 09, 2024 4:07 pm

Hello Andy primarily the CV joints,although I have just heard back from kelvadon, it seems that the CV joints are shaftec and the splined shaft is machined by a local (to them) machine shop duncan
ragtop
New-tral

PostPost by: andyelan » Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:23 pm

Hi There

If you're worried about quality then I would say these joints look fine and looked after, i.e. not contaminated with water or dirt, then they'll last almost indefinably. If you are worried about sourcing replacements then again there shouldn't be any problem, the joints look like standard 100mm 6 hole joints which are easy to source. The only problem might be is that most suppliers want to know the original application but spend a little time on the internet and you usually find there's an illustration giving the dimensions. Race suppliers such as Demon Tweeks sell GKN Motorsorts joints and give dimensions. These are exactly the sane size as standard CV joints but are lightened and have polished track so they're expensive and, in my opinion, overkill for a road car. Just be aware that you'll have to go through a supplier. Manufactures be they GKN, SKF or Shaftec won't deal with the public.

Regards
Andy
andyelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Aug 10, 2024 5:13 am

I had never heard of Shaftec, so did a bit of digging. They seem to be a reconditioner of steering racks and drivelines, and distributor of CVs and other universal and driveline parts. Its not clear that they manufacture much themselves, or where they source their products from.

While their products may be absolutely fine, I would stick with a known quality brand like GKN Lobro for CVs.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ragtop » Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:59 am

Thanks for that Andy ,it does look that Shaftec offer a 60 month 60000 mile warranty,so has any one out there bought and fitted this drive shaft conversion, from either Sue millar or Kelverton, recently and what are your findings ,good or bad.The car a late plus 2 wont be doing much mileage ,but dont like the idea of the rotoflexs breaking up duncan
ragtop
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sat Aug 10, 2024 9:32 am

Hi,
I fitted the Kelvedon shafts seven years ago with no problems.
One joint threw some grease out quite soon, and last year while doing my annual safety and ` MOT` checks I found a split gaiter. This was readily available from Kelvedon and I added a smear of sealer to where the grease might leak from. Otherwise I am very please with them and would not consider going back to doughnuts.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:33 am

The CV joints used on the Mick Miller/Kelvedon shafts were OEM fit on the Ford Sierra not Cosworth
Ian
elansprint
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: