Steering column impact clamp

PostPost by: Harvey » Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:37 am

IMG_2179.jpeg and
IMG_2179.jpeg and
I have done my homework researching this topic but have encountered a problem I don't believe has been discussed. I have a '71 Plus 2S with the collapsible steering column but seem unable to tighten the impact clamp enough to prevent fore and back movement of the steering wheel.

Initially I noted that the clamp grubscrew was not bearing upon the flat side of the inner lower column but rather on the round side. I then removed the clamp and flipped it upside down so that the grubscrew was aligned with the flat side of the inner column. Snugging down the two bolts that hold the clamp to the columns I then tightened the grubscrew mightily (with all my strength) with an Allen wrench, torqued down the locknut to 40 ft/lbs, and finished by doing up the two 1/4" clamping bolts to 7ft/lbs but the steering wheel can still be moved forward and back without too much effort.

Re-examining the clamp I notice that there is over a .060" gap between the two parts of the clamp. Thinking that there should be no gap when the bolts are tightened, I'm wondering if I have the flat part of the clamp and its grubscrew positioned squarely over the flat part of the inner column? I've tried to attach a picture of my impact clamp showing the gap between the two halves after I have tightened it but not sure it will appear.

Thanks guys for any answers to my issue.

Lee
Jackson, CA
Harvey
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:59 am

Lee,
Further down at the Inner Column to Steering Rack are things nice and tight.
The new all metal type UJ's need a lot of tightening
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: oldelanman » Sun Oct 13, 2024 6:30 am

Looks like the clamp isn't correctly fitted, there shouldn't be a gap between the two halves. I suggest you remove it completely and ensure that the flat section of the lower inner column is properly aligned with the "window" in the upper inner column. Next slacken the locknut and back off the grub screw completely and fit the clamp .... the grub screw should be on the flat side of the column and the body of the clamp should be snug to the lower end of the outer column .... fully tighten the two bolts holding the two halves together then tighten the grub screw and finally the lock nut.

Screenshot 2024-10-13 065330.jpg and
Roger
S4 DHC
oldelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: