Heat and sound insulation

PostPost by: Marcus+2 » Tue May 28, 2024 10:00 pm

Has anyone recently replaced the heat insulation under the bonnet, and/or done any sound proofing on the floor or roof?
What products did you use, and how well did they stick to the fiberglass?
Thanks.
Marcus+2
New-tral

PostPost by: elanman999 » Wed May 29, 2024 3:39 pm

The first thing to say about sticking anything to fibreglass is you have to use the correct product. Lots of the petrol based adhesives will soften the glass and ruin the finish of the car. If a product is OK on glass then they should say this on the tin. Even some self adhesive products should not be used.

I can’t recommend anything for the bonnet as my +2 had nothing. But one thing that makes it a lot quieter is to have the air box and trunking as Lotus intended and an air filter, be it after market or Lotus, in front of the radiator.

The interior of the body should be lined with carpet and under felt as standard but if it’s missing then does need replacing.
The boot does need lining and an extra layer on the boot boards helps to reduce exhaust noise.
For stuff like this I use :- https://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/ but there are lots of other places.

The other thing to add is that the +2 is a 50 year old car so it will not be as quiet as your tin top!!
Have fun.
Cheers
John.
elanman999
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed May 29, 2024 6:09 pm

Hi

I have always found +2's to be reasonably quiet given the age and type of car they are. The fibreglass seems to be less resonant than steel. Something like Gravitex plus will also deaden sound to some degree. A lot of people use a dynomat type of product but if you do then make sure it is very well stuck down on the roof as you do not want it to fall onto the headlining.

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:41 am

Lack of an insulation pad can cause any bodywork or stress crack repair to fail
I recently put a black, adhesive backed pad on mine and the adhesive is pretty tenacious
I will try to find the listing for it.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Tue Jun 04, 2024 1:29 pm

https://www.fatmat.com/product-page/fat ... hood-liner

thicker than original, so needs to be cut out over front of cam cover.
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Marcus+2 » Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:27 pm

Great - thanks :)
Marcus+2
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:15 am

gus wrote:https://www.fatmat.com/product-page/fatmat-black-urethane-hood-liner

thicker than original, so needs to be cut out over front of cam cover.

Interesting. What does it weigh vs the original stuff?
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Sat Jun 15, 2024 8:33 am

Using Dynamat superlite on my cockpit floor and tunnel. Decided against felt as I think this is prone to collecting damp.

Dynamat superlite isn’t cheap but good products never are. Want to do this once and right.

Some will say it’s more weight but it’s a compromise between performance and drivability imo.
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
1979 Lancia V6 Group B Rally Car
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: