Rear wheel bearings.

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:16 am

My rear wheels have play that seems to be because of the wheel bearings.they were new when struts were rebuild. However, i notice the washer inside on the hub is missing.
While the nut was tight, I'm thinking the washer would press the hub home and not having it in place will cause the play!
Thoughts !
Does anyone have the size/thickness of the washer. Or is it too late and bearings need replaced.
James
Attachments
IMG_9352.jpeg and
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Mon Oct 16, 2023 9:05 am

Well first off I'd say the rear axle bearings are not tapered like the fronts are, so tightening the nut won't make any difference to them. The hub - shaft interface is tapered, but if this isn't proper tight you'd be having much more serious problems. Jack it up and see if you can pinpoint the play to a more exact location.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:06 pm

The outer wheel bearing appears to be worn. The hub can move back forward up down about 1/8" .
Can the outer bearing be replaced without strut removal.
Thanks
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elan45 » Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:44 pm

Yes the bearings can be replaced w/o removal of the whole strut. At least I could do the job at a younger age..Its a tough dirty job.

Roger
'67 Elan S3 SS DHC
'67 Elan FHC pre-airflow
'67 Elan S3 SE upgrade to 26R by Original owner
'58 Eleven S2 (ex-works)
'62 20/22 FJ (ex-Yamura)
'70 Elan +2S RHD
'61 20 FJ project
'76 Modus M1 F3
Elan45
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:47 am

The important thing is to check the press fit on the hub shaft and the fit of the bearings outer races in the upright. They need to be pressed in, not loose. Replace bearings with the rubber lip seals, the suffix is important. Should be an SKF 62062RS. Most distributor stock is C3 (loose internal clearance).

You may be able to save the upright fit with Loctite Stud and Bearing Mount 271.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:42 am

Elan45 wrote:Yes the bearings can be replaced w/o removal of the whole strut. At least I could do the job at a younger age..Its a tough dirty job.

Roger

Quite right. I did this on a Plus 2 a few years ago. Full details on my thread: viewtopic.php?f=42&t=40997

The moral of that particular tale of woe is... Buy the right tool to remove the hub.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:43 pm

Hi Jon b

By the amount of play you've got sounds like a more serious problem like worn bearing housing or worn output shaft journal.

You need to Remove the hub and check what's happening.A bearing with that much play would have made an awful racket when driving as its about to collapse.

The bearings are of a different size the inner is much wider to take the axial stresses the drive side puts on the car
I did this job about 4 months ago and is easier with the strut out.When you do this job its also worth checking the concentricity of the out board shaft as the disc is attached to this.Any run out on the ears will cause the disc to distort and give you vibration when braking.

Hope this helps

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 5:45 am

Both my rear hubs have done this over the years.
In each case it was because the output shaft had spun within the outer bearing.
Metal spraying put it right.
I suspect that if the bearing itself had worn to that degree it would have sounded like a concrete mixer......

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:43 am

+1 for Metal Spraying.
Did that on a +2 Elan
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: MACCA.GLM » Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:21 am

Yes A common fault if the bearing housing shaft diameters are out of tolerance. Yes metal spraying or welding when rotated on a lathe is a really good way of reclaiming parts back to standard with small outlay.The cost of new outboard shafts and alloy hubs are out of hand now.

If anyone requires this work there is a great company who can reclaim almost anything in Leicester
Ive used them for almost 40 years as an engineer needing this sort of works

RGT Rapid Engineering
pullman road
Wigston
Leicester
Norman is the owner

Regards

G
MACCA.GLM
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: reb53 » Wed Oct 18, 2023 7:41 pm

As a P.S. to this,

I'd not long had an MOT when I found the last one.
The MOT guys simply jack the car up before testing for play, which they never find because, assuming you still have them, Rotoflexes pre-load the bearings to such a degree they seem fine.
Even when they're not.
So it's worth checking them yourself from time to time, ( by jacking the strut/wheel up to normal ride height before checking).

The bloke who metal sprayed the most recent one had also done the first, 35 years previously.
Except this time he charged $220, instead of $55...... :)

Ralph.
reb53
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: coperlio » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:18 am

The washer acts as a spacer and helps ensure the hub is properly seated against the bearing. Without it, the nut might be tight, but the hub could still have some play because it's not fully secured. This play can put excess stress on the bearing, leading to premature wear and tear.
coperlio
New-tral

Total Online: