Lotus at the Revival

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:59 pm

I see that there will be a 'parade ' of 75 historically important Lotus and also a Cortina only race, but has anyone had a sniff of the lunchtime track parade being for Lotus owners???
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:44 pm

About 20 of us from California will be attending the Revival and a tour of Classic Team Lotus. We are looking forward to meeting any of you at the Revival. We are all looking to find appropriate "period attire".

Dan Wise
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 7:58 am

I’ll be at the Revival on Sunday only but am not aware of any track parade for Lotus owners or similar?
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DamianB » Tue Aug 15, 2023 11:02 am

I wrote to Goodwood organisers in July with just this question. They replied..

I have heard back from the content team this morning. They will be putting together a Lotus celebration with cars to do a run around track and are starting to work on this now. If you do have a car you wish to be part of this then do contact them directly on [email protected].

I contacted them as suggested, but did not hear back so presume they have what they need and/or that my Elan S3 is not what they are looking for.

I plan to be at the Revival on Saturday.
Damian
67 French-Blue Elan S3 DHC 45/7001
DamianB
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:08 pm

StressCraxx wrote:About 20 of us from California will be attending the Revival and a tour of Classic Team Lotus. We are looking forward to meeting any of you at the Revival. We are all looking to find appropriate "period attire".

Dan Wise

Dan,

I am fortunate to live quite close to Goodwood, and have been a regular visitor to the revival. The ethos is to recreate the circuit as it was when it was still an active circuit. The circuit opened in 1948, and was the perimeter track of what had been RAF Westhampnett fighter base during the war. Westhampnett was an emergency alternate to RAF Tangmere should Tangmere be put of action by enemy bombing. FWIW this is an aerial picture of Westhampnett at the end of the war, the perimeter track and dispersal points match the present day circuit.

RAF_Westhampnett_-_19_Apr_1946_Airphoto.jpg and

As for clothing, in principle anything between 1948 and 1966 when the circuit was active would fit the bill. Most people who make an effort seem to aim for 1950s country attire, a flat cap and a tweed jacket being a common choice (and my choice). Having said that, there is everything from wartime RAF uniforms, to racing overalls to flower power 60s outfits. I did attend the ball one year in a Sgt Pepper's outfit with a very questionable wig, and fitted right in.

I will be there on Sunday, and should others be interested, I would enjoy meeting up for a pint.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Aug 15, 2023 12:41 pm

DamianB wrote:I wrote to Goodwood organisers in July with just this question. They replied..

I have heard back from the content team this morning. They will be putting together a Lotus celebration with cars to do a run around track and are starting to work on this now. If you do have a car you wish to be part of this then do contact them directly on [email protected]" target="_blank.

I contacted them as suggested, but did not hear back so presume they have what they need and/or that my Elan S3 is not what they are looking for.

Thanks, Damian.
I got the impression that the '75 cars' track parade is the one we can't get in on, ie it's historically significant cars.
I was thinking of the mass participation track parade that has had Austin 7's and Fiat 500s over the last few years. I would have thought it would have been Lotus. As a member of Club Lotus I would have hoped we might have had a heads up if it were us, however, I also have a 1969 Fiat 500 and missed out on that as it seemed to be a boys club invite.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 9:36 am

I just heard this morning that the Revival is going to take on a whole new meaning for me this year.
The friend I go with every year has had his 'Blower' accepted for the race and he is co-driving with some unknown called Nick Swift!
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Wed Aug 16, 2023 10:08 am

That’s grand!

Always enjoy seeing Swift pilot his Swiftune Minis around Goodwood, a very skilled racer.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:30 am

DamianB wrote:I wrote to Goodwood organisers in July with just this question. They replied..

I have heard back from the content team this morning. They will be putting together a Lotus celebration with cars to do a run around track and are starting to work on this now. If you do have a car you wish to be part of this then do contact them directly on [email protected]" target="_blank.

Damian,

Following your note, I contacted Goodwood myself, offering up my HSCC spec '68 S3. I got a very polite reply, saying they were looking for cars with 'significant period racing history and achievements'.

Needless to say, I won't be part of the parade.

FWIW, my tickets showed up this morning.

Rgds,
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:33 am

661 wrote:I just heard this morning that the Revival is going to take on a whole new meaning for me this year.
The friend I go with every year has had his 'Blower' accepted for the race and he is co-driving with some unknown called Nick Swift!

Graeme,

Just out of interest, could you be more specific about the car? I had a quick look at the various races, and couldn't see a two driver race where a 'blower' would fit.

Rgds,
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 10:39 am

Andy8421 wrote:
661 wrote:I just heard this morning that the Revival is going to take on a whole new meaning for me this year.

Graeme,

Just out of interest, could you be more specific about the car? I had a quick look at the various races, and couldn't see a two driver race where a 'blower' would fit.

Rgds,

It's the Rudge Whitworth race. 30 mins, two drivers.
We're hoping it's early in the schedule so we can resume our usual position at the bar!

https://www.goodwood.com/grr/event-cove ... race-list/
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:08 am

Graeme,

Thanks. I had missed that. That's a serious race, I will look out for the car.

Many years ago I worked for a company that was a main sponsor of the Revival. We were invited to supply a 'suitable' car and driver should any employee be interested. The invitation was passed along to me. I did look into it, but work, life and family got in the way.

Could have, should have, would have.........

Andy.
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sat Aug 19, 2023 7:13 pm

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwGI94GvS4O/?img_index=1

66 @ £1m in 2024

Will the 66 be at the Revival?
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:01 am

h20hamelan wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/CwGI94GvS4O/?img_index=1

66 @ £1m in 2024

Will the 66 be at the Revival?

Wow, what a car.
It does, however, make me wonder what race series it would be eligible for as it never raced ( or existed!) in period.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:09 pm

For those attending, Goodwood have published their timetable. The 'Lotus 75' parade takes place around lunchtime each day. The weather is uncharacteristically good, so it should be a memorable weekend. Timetable link here.

https://www.goodwood.com/motorsport/goodwood-revival/plan-your-day/timetable/?utm_source=The%20Goodwood%20Estate%20Company%20Ltd&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=14053457_REV%20-%20Plan%20your%20day%20%281%20week%20to%20go%29%20-%20AUG23&utm_content=REV%20-%20PYD%20eShot%20-%20Timetable&person_id=100450382&dm_i=1QLU,8D7PT,V6F3Y7,YHJSM,1

There is an early morning flypast of historic aircraft which is always worthwhile, though it will never match the famous Ray Hanna flypast in a Spitfire - level with the grandstands along the start / finish straight. For those who haven't seen it (terrible quality, but it seems to be the only footage of the event):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnc78LW7V1U
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: