Engine ID.....a bit more.....

PostPost by: ajwheels » Sun Aug 21, 2022 6:24 pm

I've been meaning to post this, and seeing joe7's post earlier has prompted me to ask.

The engine in my car has a 701M, "L" block, date coded September 1970, with the number TC 71130 stamped above the right engine mount. The previous owner knew nothing of the history, and as such, nor do I. I have sifted through many of the past threads here, looking for clues, but have come up short....I have yet to hear of a block marked similarly.....

Any thoughts, comments, insights?.....
Attachments
IMG_4633.jpg and
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 7:48 pm

I’d guess that is not an original factory stamping. The size and font look totally different compared to the many others listed here. See Joes.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Aug 21, 2022 8:04 pm

The original engine number would have been stamped directly into the as cast surface. your block appears to have had the surface ground off and a new number stamped. The number itself does not appear to relate to normal Ford or Lotus numbering conventions that I have seen but maybe others will recognise it.

Its hard to tell from the photo but there maybe some trace of the original engine number on the unground front portion of the mount

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ajwheels » Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:19 am

rgh0 wrote:The original engine number would have been stamped directly into the as cast surface. your block appears to have had the surface ground off and a new number stamped. The number itself does not appear to relate to normal Ford or Lotus numbering conventions that I have seen but maybe others will recognise it.

Its hard to tell from the photo but there maybe some trace of the original engine number on the unground front portion of the mount

cheers
Rohan

The light in the photo is deceptive....the entire pad has a consistant texture, though it it pretty smooth and the green paint may have some effect. I have always suspected it has been restamped, as it is unlike anything I have seen on this site and elsewhere online.....I have this little fantasy that the engine was built and restamped by some legendary builder.....ah, a boy can dream.....it works good, so I'm happy.....
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:10 am

Most engine builders have some stamping for their builds. I stamp the front face of the block for example where its hidden but can be seen on any subsequent dismantling. Maybe some of the USA guys know if any of the local builders stamp like that.

If the block mount top has not been ground then you may be able to see the original number under the new one if it had one in that location

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: benymazz » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:56 am

rgh0 wrote:your block appears to have had the surface ground off and a new number stamped.

I too have a block in my possession that has no markings in the usual area where it would have been factory stamped. It came to me in the form of a Twin Cam that was used in a purpose-built hillclimb and SCCA B/SR car in the 70s; a race engine. Perhaps blocks that were supplied only as a bare casting from Ford or Lotus did not carry an engine number stamped in the usual location? The engine had a 4 bolt crank, so it couldn't have been that new of a block.

-Ben
1965 S2 26/4623
Life is like a sewer, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.
"I'm never gonna financially recover from this"
benymazz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:06 am

Engines/blocks supplied as factory replacements or engine exchange scheme where not stamped with engine numbers. Some had a date code stamped in small digits to one side instead.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:49 am

Ford in Australia at least stamped their engine numbers on the right front above the oil pressure tapping for some cars from the old 1500 blocks I have collected

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:14 pm

Engine I built some time back, stamped numbers are cast date code, no other marking in this area.
Block 1.jpg and
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: