Hazel Chapman R.I.P.

PostPost by: Coupe » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:00 pm

Sad day :
(Hethel, UK – 14 December 2021) – The global Lotus community is saddened to learn that Hazel Chapman, the wife of Colin Chapman and co-founder of Lotus, has died aged 94.

Her contribution to motorsport and the motor industry in the latter half of the 20th century should not be under-estimated. She was a successful racing driver, a shrewd businesswoman and the rock upon which the Lotus foundations – since 1948, when the very first Lotus car was made – were built. Her involvement in the development of the Lotus business was almost without equal at the time, in a world where women so often played second fiddle to their husbands.

Matt Windle, Managing Director, Lotus Cars, commented: “This is a very sad day for everyone around the world associated with Lotus. Without Hazel Chapman there would be no Lotus. The entire Hethel team, and those working at our facilities around the world, send their sincere condolences and best wishes to the Chapman family.”

Hazel Williams was born on the 21 May 1927 in North London. She met Colin Chapman at a dance in 1944 when he was just 16 and she a few months older. As the couple’s relationship developed, Hazel’s parents allowed Colin to build what became the first Lotus – the Mark 1 – in the lock-up garage at the back of their house in Hornsey.

Colin gained a commission into the Royal Air Force, so Hazel continued with the building of the Lotus Mark 1 and then the Mark 2. Competition success in races entered by Hazel and Colin resulted in new commissions for their automotive services. With Hazel’s commercial acumen, their first Lotus business was formed on 1 January 1952. It became a limited company later in the year, funded by payment of £25 from Hazel herself.

Hazel and Colin married in 1954 and as the business grew Hazel took a seat on the board of a number of their companies, including Lotus Cars, Team Lotus and Lotus Components.

She was not only an astute businesswoman but took on a matriarchal role within the organisation, the epitome of the phrase ‘Behind every strong man is a stronger woman’. She prided herself of working with almost every Lotus Formula 1 driver including iconic motorsport names such as Jim Clark, Graham Hill, Jochen Rindt, Emerson Fittipaldi, Mario Andretti, Nigel Mansell and Ayrton Senna. She was also a founder of The Dog House women’s motorsport club.

Widowed in 1982, Hazel recognised that Lotus Cars needed new ownership to secure its future and played an instrumental role in its sale. She became a Director of Classic Team Lotus, the Chapman family business which preserves the cars and legacy of the brand’s global racing success.

Hazel maintained a close interest in all things Lotus, for example, she ‘signed off’ the 100,000th Lotus road car in 2018. Tradition dictated that Hazel was always shown the latest Lotus road car prior to it being unveiled to the public. That wonderful custom continued into the modern era, and she viewed the Lotus Evija with her son Clive Chapman two weeks before its debut in July 2019.
Coupe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:05 pm

RIP... she must have been a remarkable woman...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elans3 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:11 pm

+1 to what Phil said. R.I.P.
Current :- Elan S3 DHC SE S/S 1968,
1963 Alfa Giulia Ti Super Rep.
Previous :-
Elan S3 DHC SE SS 1968,
Elan S3 DHC S/E 1966
Elan S3 FHC Pre-Airflow 1966
elans3
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:09 pm

+1 R.I.P.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:30 pm

Rest easy, Hazel, your work is done and we thank you for it.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:10 pm

RIP. Another era ends.

In Michael Oliver’s Lotus 49 book there is a quote from Walter Hayes (Fords’ motor sport officianado) along the lines of “what a great team they were”.

Amen to that.

Behind every great man is a great woman. (Just ask my wife…)
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:18 pm

Sad stuff
A happy life
Blessings
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:46 pm

Thank you for that obituary, I can't believe I didn't know it.

It was a long time to be a widow; my father-in-law died at Colin's age as did my best friend, I've seen the grief.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:03 am

Rest in peace Hazel,
Thankyou
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffers71 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:21 am

R.I.P Hazel, what a remarkable woman she was.
1965 Elan S2 (26/4726)
2002 Elise S2 (now sold :-()
1970 Scimitar GTE
"The older I get the better I was !"
Geoffers71
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Elanman68 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:24 am

RIP.

My thoughts and condolences are with the Chapman family.
Elanman68
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:05 pm

I met Hazel a couple of times, Clive her son introduced me at one of the Hethel gatherings. A very nice friendly lady with no airs and graces. I saw Clive a couple of weekends ago at an HLR dinner and didn't get around to asking after his mother as he was busy doing the rounds.

A sad loss, R.I.P, Hazel
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: