New electric Lotus, old batteries

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:20 pm

2cams70 wrote:
Andy8421 wrote: - yes an internationally connected grid. For example electricity could be sent from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere by cable to best utilize worldwide solar supply. Oil gets traded internationally. Maybe electricity could be too. A bit like an EU trading system (oh no!!)

There is much information about local resilience. Food, water, energy and any comodity.
The larger the corporation, the greater the corruption.
If your neighbor helped you, and you helped your neighbor.

Of course, I am not a supporter of transport. Or the now and modern entitlement of consumption.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:03 am

Apparently Bill Gates has ordered a 'superyacht' powered by fuel cells and cryo hydrogen. This is the most likely avenue for using hydrogen for transportation (and maybe heavy trucking), where the weight / efficiency penalties don't come into play to the same degree as cars. It is really the only clean solution currently available (apart from sails) for large ocean going vessels.
Large, slow speed 2-stroke diesels are the engine of choice in the shipping industry, but have significant emission problems and of course use fossil fuel. It will be interesting to see how Gates' new ship copes with the supply and handling of cryo hydrogen (-253 degrees C) and the problems of hydrogen embrittlement.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 5:24 am

Handling high pressure gas hydrogen or cryogenic liquid hydrogen are both significant engineering challenges as the small hydrogen molecules like to leak out everywhere especially when under high pressure. I have done a bit of both in my time in petrochemical plants and the technology for safely handling this sort of highly flammable material
(hydrogen burns effectively over a huge range of air to fuel ratios so a small leak can quickly lead to a large fire) and in a consumer vehicle and filling station the safe technology will still have a way to go i believe. A lot of the cryogenic handling technology was developed for liquid fuel rockets but for that cost was no obstacle and it only had to work for a limited time in very tightly controlled conditions

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: