What did you do to your Lotus today...

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:10 pm

Bombay Racing Green wrote:Nice one Robin! I’ve been busy building shelves in the garage and making more space. Was sorting out the spares department this afternoon.
2DFA0D91-DA74-4A79-B736-541351C00927.jpeg

Also got the major components of the diff ready to ship to Al (promotor) once everything has calmed down. His work is superb.
8135F45A-2B6D-470D-8FE2-8DA94DB97A04.jpeg

Good job!

And Al / Promotor's work is the best.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:12 pm

lotocone wrote:Rob, good that your son could help you out. A friend once helped me with his hoist to get an engine installed, which was a big favor.

I pushed the car out of the garage for a few photos. The paint color is Signal Orange which is a Porsche color from the period. I would have preferred Lotus Colorado Orange, but the painter didn't have a code for it and we were running out of time. He was about to retire with his coworker.

In one picture you can see the L shaped plastic trim by the windshield and around the small vent is broken. Now that the windshield is in the car with new rubber seals, I hope a new piece can be fit without removing the windshield.

Bob

Bob, the car looks stunning in orange. Sorry to see the trim piece got broken. Not sure how they fit. Can you get spares in the UK? If not, let me know and I can source one from here.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:42 pm

mbell wrote:Modified a Porsche Jack ($50 of eBay) as recommended by a few here...

Now I need to find a spare wheel but very conflicted as I am not adding lightness to the car!

I lov that! Which model porsche jack is that? My +2 didn't come with a jack and I'm not paying the silly money for an original :(
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:23 pm

Chrispy wrote:I lov that! Which model porsche jack is that? My +2 didn't come with a jack and I'm not paying the silly money for an original :(

Porsche 944 and others of the same vintage. There's a few different models with slightly different fittings on the top; eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-968- ... SwSGNeVPbg

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:38 pm

mbell wrote:Modified a Porsche Jack ($50 of eBay) as recommended by a few here...

Can you detail the modifications?

Now I need to find a spare wheel but very conflicted as I am not adding lightness to the car!

For real-world use, I would!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:00 pm

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911-96 ... 1177766703

For the Jack. I think a few people have done it by there own methods and if you had a lathe you could make something much nicer.

For mine I bought a
- 5/16" x 3" UNC cap head bolt
- 5/8" x 4" bolt
- 5/8" washer

Cut the thread off the 5/8" bolt. Center drill a 5/16" hole through the bolt. Drill and thread the Jack with a 5/16" UNC thread. Bolt it all together.

Generally I don't get that far from the house and have 100 mile recovery on my policy so haven't quite got to the spare yet. Just trying to find a decent priced wheel...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 12:43 am

With the sun popping out decided that the Elan needed a little exercise. Discovered that the fuse had blown on my GPS speedo - didn't have a spare of the proper size - ordered. Also, some wiring quirks have arisen, headlights turn on by themselves. But can be switched off, only to come back on. Some loose wiring or bum relay somewhere, to be investigated.
IMG_5219.jpeg and

Any way nothing to hinder a short excursion. Pure joy, hadn't driven in quite a while. The engine and the gearbox were great. Nice, positive, short throws on the shifts. I hope I am as happy with the Voigt 5-speed conversion to be installed in the near term. I guess if I don't like it I can always revert (see "Mazzini").
IMG_5222.jpeg and
IMG_5234.jpeg and
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:33 am

Lovely car in a lovely environment.

Removed my Voigt box because I wanted to put my car back to original specification, not because there was anything wrong with it.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:44 pm

Re-Porsche Jack
Keen to hear why modifying a Porsche scissor jack, which is still to me very expensive, is any more suitable for a +2 than modifying a modern scissor jack readily available on ebay very cheaply?

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: kwhittle » Mon Apr 20, 2020 2:58 pm

While we cannot really go anywhere the cars still need looking after.
So Fired up the BDA in my Plus 2 and got it out. Followed by Running up my type 46, and finally firing up the Buick V8 in my Lotus 19.

Wonderful sound. I wish it was road registered !
kwhittle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Mon Apr 20, 2020 3:28 pm

alanr wrote:Re-Porsche Jack
Keen to hear why modifying a Porsche scissor jack, which is still to me very expensive, is any more suitable for a +2 than modifying a modern scissor jack readily available on ebay very cheaply?

Alan

Alan - I think the point about the Porsche jack is that is made of aluminium and thus you will be adding lightness rather than the mild steel e-bay jack which will add less lightness!!
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon Apr 20, 2020 4:42 pm

Yes the Porsche jack in price comparison will certainly lighten your pocket. :wink:

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:25 pm

alanr wrote:Re-Porsche Jack

As stated it down to weight, the Porsche jack with mod is 4lb. I think most steel jacks are ~8lb+. With the raise nub on the porsche jack they are also very easy to mod to fit with a +2.

I agree they are more expensive, probably $50 more than getting a modified steel jack. But I think people have spent a lot more money to save 4lbs with no eye's raised here...
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanner » Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:06 pm

I last put something on this thread back on page one, the day it started. So time for another....

Covid-19 is crimping activities so I've resorted to getting out my ancient boxes of 35mm slides and scanning them. I've been meaning to do it for years. It's a slow process but I was delighted to stumble across some photos of my first Elan. Taken in late 73. Gov.uk shows that its last MOT expired on 8th May 2018, so it has now been off the road for almost two years. Recorded as being red. I wonder what happened? :-(

Nick
74-Jan-Elan-1.jpg and
elanner
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: wolfchen » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:30 pm

DSCN0262.JPG and
Love for lotus. a rare open road
wolfchen
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext