What did you do to your Lotus today...

PostPost by: Hawksfield » Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:07 pm

Hi Quart Meg Miles

40k on an engine that has now done 102720 miles. Well pleased with QED work which was a full service on my head, new valves, guides, seats, special springs, some remedial work on two new followers +0.0005".
Shimmed valves.

Its a pity they do not do any workshop machining now they were very good.

As Iam in my late seventies it should see me out :D

John
John

+2s130 1971
Hawksfield
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:07 pm

Hi all, small update on the 1001 jobs that I have to do to get my +2 up to scratch. Hopefully others may find this helpful.

I’ve had my +2 outside for the last week and we have had plenty of rain. I have the interior removed as part of the renovation and found the passenger side full of rain water. On investigating found the following.
1. The ‘drip seal’ above the courtesy light switch is missing on both sides - replacement needed.
2. The hole for the courtesy switch in the passenger side was mis shapen leaving a gap for water to run into.
3. Open hole in the engine bay - ditto above.
4. Rain water bypassing the door seal.

As a solution to the above
1. will replace the drip seals, I’m assuming these are simple rubber lip seals - can anyone post the approx size and a picture please.
2. Removed the switch and sealed the hole as a temp measure
3. Fitted a grommet to the hole in the engine bay.
This has stopped some of the water ingress but the final fix was the biggest improvement.
4. Removed the rubber and filled the u section that attaches the seal to the door opening with non setting butyl sealant. Then refilled the seal making sure it was pushed back tight into the corner sections. This left the seal about an inch short where it joins at the bottom of the door opening. Clearly 50 years of shrinkage. I will replace long term.

Then as a separate job, the H4 headlights aren’t great - suspect they need rewriring. I happened to have two LED H4 replacement headlights that were spare. As I believe LED’s pull nowhere the same Amps as halogen headlights I decided to give these ago.

They are simple plug and play connectors and appear to be must brighter and definitely throw a longer light on high beam. A comparison photo
IMG_9035.jpeg and

I wasn’t sure I would like them before fitting but the ‘white’ light is cleaner looking than the old yellow halogens IMO.
I also like the three spots on dimmed beam.
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
1979 Lancia V6 Group B Rally Car
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Baggy2 » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:33 pm

Hi
Regarding the seal above the courtesy light switches a search on Amazon for:-

"Fafada 4 m 12 x 13 mm Rubber Door Seal Rubber Profile Car Door Edge Guard D-Shape Black"

Will take you to the seal I used and has been brilliant. Unfortunately unavailable at the moment but will give you a good starting point for your search

Regarding your LED headlights I used a 'warm white' version. The colour is obviously a matter taste but I've found the above two mods have transformed winter motoring in the +2

Cheers

Baggy
Baggy2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Johnny America » Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:11 pm

Thank you very helpful
1969 Lotus Elan +2 4 speed - Barn find and currently undergoing recommissioning.
1979 Lancia V6 Group B Rally Car
Johnny America
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:17 pm

After three weeks away I started up the Elan: switch on fuel pump, clear immobiliser, press clutch and turn key. Engine turned but didn't fire, so I tried again. Same result.

Had a think about it before realising I hadn't primed the Webers! Floored the throttle four times, as regulation, then did something more interesting for a few minutes, and it was away. Must be getting old in my old age.

This morning it did its normal double 20 mile trip to see friends, most of it on dual-carriageway and even overtook a pair of Ferraris like they were standing still. They were (actually following a lorry) but otherwise only two cars went past and they were doing 90.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanDNA » Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:40 pm

Hello
Take a post from a 150 year+ old bed made of cherry wood.
After some time on the lathe, today I have once again created a part that I have always missed.
Like everything always to my taste. :lol:
20230610.jpg and

20240323.jpg and

Just varnish and assemble.
Cheers Urs
ElanDNA
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:29 am

ElanDNA wrote:Hello
After some time on the lathe, today I have once again created a part that I have always missed.
Just varnish and assemble.

Wow, very cool! Show us how it looks with a finish on it!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lotus54 » Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:34 am

I had no need for an ashtray (66 Elan), I was going to try to make a sunglasses holder, but couldn’t come up with a design I liked.
I had this mid-60s aviation clock (windup, with timer also) for decades. So long I cannot remember who gave it to me. I always figured I would find a good place for it someday. I need to source some nice round head screws, but this mounted it and I could see if fit. I 3D printed the mount.
Attachments
IMG_8271.jpeg and
1966 Lotus Elan S3- Benelli motorcycles (various)
Lotus54
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:40 am

The 71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S 130 is finally on the road after 2 years of relentless restoration work.
I took "Lucy" on her first drive (since disassembly by previous owner), and drove to the annual British car show (302 cars), and had a fantastic time! (In her first return to public appearance, Lucy captured 2nd place in the Lotus Category competition.) It was a great experience.
Attachments
IMG_2871.JPEG and
IMG_0819.JPEG and
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: