The cost of second hand Elan parts ...

PostPost by: fattogatto » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:39 pm

batfish wrote:I was recently watching a lip seal sump pan on E bay , it was sold for over ?300, Have these become rare items?

Andy

You could have one made out of ally billet for less than that.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: oldchieft » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:23 pm

fattogatto wrote:
batfish wrote:I was recently watching a lip seal sump pan on E bay , it was sold for over ?300, Have these become rare items?

Andy

You could have one made out of ally billet for less than that.

I have long thought they could be sand cast.
img_1044_1024.jpg and

img_1043_1024.jpg and

img_1042_1024.jpg and

img_1045_1024.jpg and

This is one made back in the 90's for a lotus 7.

Jon the Chief
oldchieft
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:08 am

fattogatto wrote:I agree the prices these idiots are asking is way over the top. Of course, being an idiot and asking these prices doesn't mean anyone (but another idiot) will pay them. Looking at the US Ebay half of the expensive items are listed about 10 times. Bottom fishing . . . .

Update on idiot listing parts at silly prices :-)

Just had an offer for one of my window frames - ?575. Considering it.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:21 pm

Steve, window frames are a little different, they are & have been unavailable for years.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:59 pm

pharriso wrote:Steve, window frames are a little different, they are & have been unavailable for years.

Agreed, Phil. Certainly rarer than old 4 terminal 6RA relays but not as rare as 3 terminal ones :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:11 pm

Six bolt sump pans certainly go for the $500 to $700 range when you see them as no one has them and most people dont sell them if they do, I certainly would not sell my few remaining spares easily and none of the local engine builders or old ford suppliers have any. I buy old cortina engines with six bolt cranks from people who dont know what they are worth just for the sump pans :lol: Though these are pretty rare now as most people know their value

Some one on here looked at getting some cast up in alloy a few years ago but the cost was to high and he figured he could not sell them unless he did a large production run to bring the unit price down.

Its possible to convert a 4 bolt sump to suit a six bolt crank and i have one that Col Croucher at Elan Trikbits did for me in but you need some skill with sheet metal fabrication and some tools to roll up the shapes required. Finding old 4 bolt sumps is easier and cheaper but even these are getting rare these days here in Australia and the modification is not a trivial or cheap exercise.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:19 am

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:17 pm

Just for my amusement can someone tell me what the title of the original listing is please?

for some reason EBay links from this site auto translate the titel into French (gobbledygook), I am of course in France so I can understand it but why only when linking through this forum?

Anyway over here you are looking at a:

Lotus Twin Cam l?vre sceau du puits perdu et ramassage pipe. Lotus Cortina, LOTUS ELAN

A lip seal of a cesspit :lol:
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:24 pm

LOTUS TWIN CAM LIP SEAL SUMP AND PICKUP PIPE. LOTUS CORTINA, LOTUS ELAN

Another very good sump to suit the Lotus Twin cam engine post 1967 (6 bolt lip seal crank). Comes complete with a very good oil pickup pipe and strainer. Cleaned, beaded and ready for painting.

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:49 pm

Chancer wrote:Just for my amusement can someone tell me what the title of the original listing is please?

for some reason EBay links from this site auto translate the titel into French (gobbledygook), I am of course in France so I can understand it but why only when linking through this forum?

Probably to do with regional settings or sump'n. I'm in USA and it comes to me in English.

Anyway over here you are looking at a:

Lotus Twin Cam l?vre sceau du puits perdu et ramassage pipe. Lotus Cortina, LOTUS ELAN

A lip seal of a cesspit :lol:

I almost spat on the computer when I read 'lip seal of a cesspit!' Seems somehow fitting. I'll definitely remember that one!

Can't speak for the pipe, but the last time I experienced a blow job in a British car, it was a late-model Jag which belonged to the woman giving said job! The heated seats just about burned me bum too. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

(sorry mods; I'll slap my own wrist now, and sorry for the topic-hijack)
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:11 am

pereirac wrote:Given the price Elan parts are making on eBay (in the UK at least) I wonder how long it will be before some people start breaking their cars for parts rather than restoring them?

?650 for a steering wheel
?60 for an ashtray
?50 for a pair of hood rail finishers
?54 for a starter motor cover (a Ford item with a dent hammered in it)
?200 for a pair of side indicators
?121 for a nose badge
?1700 for a couple of window frames
?5000 for an engine

To name a few...

Suddenly makes ?25k for a complete car suddenly seem pretty reasonable . :)

Carl

having just taken a look at ebay this morning, it would seem that ?650 for a steering wheel must be a starting price... :shock:
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Almondgreen » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:06 pm

And what about ?249,99 pounds for a light switch :

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-S2-S3-S4- ... 1862657099

Or ?74,99 for this very-old-but-can-bestill-be-used front grille ?

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOTUS-ELAN-S2-S3-S4- ... 1873555788

:roll:
Almondgreen
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fattogatto » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Obviously a chap in Portugal who is parting out an Elan of some sort.
Charlie Warner
Fatto Gatto Racing
fattogatto
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:33 am

Lotus Elan S1 steering wheel sold on fleabay (ended on 14 Dec 2015)

winning bid...

?1,251 ! :shock:
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: patrics » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:30 pm

Hi,
I recently sold starter motor cover bit for ?54 but the starting price was ?10 so I did very well (going to sell another one!) but on the other hand I only got ?260 for ?550 Andy Whiltshire tank. I always let the market decide you win some loose some, but the real problem is with all the chancers using the buy it now function for second hand parts - vote with your feet as they say and never buy any used part on a buy it now.

Regards
Steve
patrics
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: