Butte Fire - Dave Bean Engineering & Friends

PostPost by: lotusS2guy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 6:05 pm

So glad to hear that Dave and Roberta are OK. The rest is just "stuff." It is sad to lose a lifetime of stuff, but it's better than losing one's life. My wife has a friend whose husband went back into a burning house to get some stuff and never came out.
Herb
26/4618
lotusS2guy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:55 am

I received a package from Dave Bean today. Ken was having my S1 fuel gauge recalibrate to work with my new fuel sending unit. Must have been one of the last packages shipped before the fire caused evacuation. A little spooky. I'm hopeful that Dave's business stays intact and the rebuilding of his life and passion for Lotus cars is not too difficult.
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tvacc » Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:01 am

I spoke to Roberta today and she was very upbeat. Having known Roberta for many years (never met her keep in mind), she is a fighter and a great partner for Dave. What great people Dave and Roberta are.

Anyways, we were all prepared to do a crowd funding thing for them. Upon checking with Roberta, she prefers that we would not do that sort of thing right now. She thanked all of us for thinking of them and being concerned about them.

they are great people.

Tony V
Tony Vaccaro
LOONY (Lotus Owners of New York)
http://www.lotusowners.com
Drive Fast Take Chances
ElanGTS, 93 Caterham, 05 Elise,
99 Elise190, 05 Elise, 2005 MiataSpeed Turbo
tvacc
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:03 am

The GGLC had a 2-day Sierra Foothills Drive scheduled the weekend of Oct 17 & 18. Given the continuing Butte Fire (now 55% contained), we thought our focus should be on helping the victims of the fire.

So, we are looking into replacing the drive with a day of volunteering to help the victims, including Dave & Roberta.

If you are interested, keep checking the GGLC's Facebook page www.facebook.com/goldengatelotusclub for news and announcements.

Regards,
Kiyoshi
Life is more fun behind the wheel of a Lotus!
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:20 am

Dave & Roberta Bean Work Day - 9/26 or 9/27

We (Lotus enthusiasts and GGLC members) are organizing a Dave & Roberta Bean Work Day for this weekend 9/26 or 9/27.

We are still working on details.

Please watch the GGLC Facebook page for the final details and announcement.
www.facebook.com/goldengatelotusclub

In the meantime please email me if you can volunteer. Indicate what day works best for you.

Kiyoshi
webguy"at"gglotus.org.
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:19 am

LotusElan.net,

We posted a few photos from yesterday's Work Crew at Dave & Roberta's on the GGLC Facebook page -

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10153610746098446.1073741855.303414878445&type=3

The Saturday team got so much done that Dave asked us to cancel the Sunday team!

It at times difficult emotionally for Dave. There was hope that some of their personal objects and collectible had survived the inferno, but as we uncovered more and more the reality of the destruction real hit them. Virtually nothing survived. The heat was so intense that even cast iron fry pans warped and folded. And safes which were there to protect their contents became intense kilns.

Your thoughts and well wishes have helped Dave & Roberta. Dave said to me toward the end of the day that the out pouring of support brought a tear to his eyes. Now, that's something coming from Dave!

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
Attachments
IMG_3153.JPG and
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:49 am

So sad to see what has happened and so good to see the Lotus community support. I live in one of the most bush fire prone region in the world in Victoria and the hill my house at Lorne was built on was destroyed by a fire a few years before I built my house in the late 90's so I understand both the risk and consequences that you have to accept unfortunately to get the benefits of living in a natural bush setting in a climate like we have in Victoria or California

I learned much of what I know about Elans and twin cams by studying the Dave Bean manual and experimenting with its recommendations before the internet was invented as it was the only authoritative available source of information. It is still one of the best!!!

I got this calendar card from Dave Bean with one of my orders in the 90's - it has amused me ever since as I have worked to build the rev limit before I need call Dave Bean for parts :lol:

dave bean.jpg and

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Certified Lotus » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:38 pm

When I was in the midst of my S1 rebuild Dave spoke with me on the telephone about suspension sets ups and the pros and cons on each choice. He took his time to explain his thinking, was warm and friendly. It was a great first exposure to Dave and very much appreciated.

I finally got to meet him in CO at LOG35. He was exactly as I expected and truly a nice man who is happy to share his knowledge on all things Lotus.

Dave should know there are many of us who would go out of our way for him. He has for us.

image.jpg and
Dave Bean at LOG35
Glen
05 Elise - Back where I started
65 Elan S2 - 26/4055
72 Europa - 74/2358R
69 Elan S4 - 45/7941
64 Elan S1 - 26/0379
12 Colin 30 - Lotus Racing Kart
07 Exige S - Wicked Road/Track Car
07 Exige S - Fast Road/Track Car
06 Elise - Track pack
Certified Lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: khamai » Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:36 pm

The day wasn't all sad, there were some lighter moments like this...

https://youtu.be/UqFO74erk5I

The guy running in the vid is Barry Spencer of Spencer's Motorsports. It was kind of humorous to see Barry's "Oh Sh*t" reaction!

And it's reaffirmed that even in today's world people have hearts and it isn't all about shooting and looting. Here's a few words that Dave shared, "The modern world seems to changed a lot from my youth. One no longer expects this kind of sacrifice and good neighbor atitudes that I just witnessed. It seems I've badly underestimated the modern world, and that people are still giving and helpful."

The recovery for the Beans has only begun, but it's the outpouring of thoughts and energy that has made just a tiny bit easier for them.

Cheers,
Kiyoshi
www.gglotus.org
www.gglotus.org/blog
khamai
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: