PostPost by: gavk » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 pm

IMAG0442.jpg and
IMG_20141111_185743.jpg and

Spyder Zetec +2
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:51 am

Heres a couple from an outing in the Welsh Mountains earlier this year.

Welsh Weekend 2014 152.JPG and
Welsh Weekend 2014 055.JPG and

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:23 am

Almost finished, colour is tartan red.
elan1.jpg and

elan2.jpg and
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:36 pm

Lovely, Chris. Is that Lagoon Blue, or . . ?

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:39 pm

daverubberduck wrote:Almost finished, colour is tartan red.

Tartan Red looks great, Dave. Where is that colour from?

And I see you've painted the wheel wells in body colour. Will they stay that way, or will you apply some sort of black/undercoating, etc.?? Or perhaps you've already applied the "rubber" paint and have colour-painted on top?? Trying to decide how to handle mine . . .

Thanks,

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bud English » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:11 pm

carrierdave wrote:Here's my +2s

Dave, what color yellow is that? Looks good on your car.
Bud
1970 +2S Fed 0053N
"Winnemucca - says it all really!!"
Bud English
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: el torro » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:35 pm

tartan red,that's food for thought?
el torro
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:37 pm

daverubberduck wrote:Almost finished, colour is tartan red

Is it tartan red?......thought it was carnival red........
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:45 pm

It's camel racing yellow, obviously a Lotus colour but not period. My car is a 69 built, 1970 registered car. 2054 chassis number - would be interesting to know how close the other H plates are to this number?

Happy new year to you all, and hope to see you all on the road in 2015.
Cheers
Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: tcsoar » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:29 am

Lovely, Chris. Is that Lagoon Blue, or . . ?

Randy

Hi Randy,

It is actually an MG colour, Trophy Blue. Used on the MGF and some of the later MG Z series cars.

Chris.
tcsoar
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:32 am

[quote="carrierdave"]It's camel racing yellow, obviously a Lotus colour but not period. My car is a 69 built, 1970 registered car. 2054 chassis number - would be interesting to know how close the other H plates are to this number?

Happy new year to you all, and hope to see you all on the road in 2015.
Cheers
Dave[/quote]

Dave, from my records (which are not exhaustive!) the earliest H reg car is 50/1487; the last is 7004080203L. Several of the later cars on the old numbering system are on J plates.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:07 am

Hi Randy
Sorry for the delay in replying. Tartan red is not a Lotus colour, Carnival red is the colour Lotus used, although my car was originally Bahama Yellow, then green, then blue, then red which is the colour when I bought it. Tartan red, though not a Lotus colour, is typical on British sports cars of the 60s such as MGBs and Austin Healeys. It is a bit darker, or more scarlet than carnival red, more like the colour used on Ferraris. Regarding the wheel arches, they are painted with stone chip and then painted red over the top. Actually the stone chip was applied after the car was painted, so underneath the car is paint/stone chip/paint. Painting red over the stone chip was an afterthought. One thing to note about the colour is that in sunshine the camera seems to distort it and make it look pink. Mind you I have a cheap camera :)

The restoration is being done at Alders Classics in Long Stratton, UK. They are doing a brilliant job.
cheers
Dave
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:51 pm

Thanks so much for the info, Dave. I do love the deeper red. The Lotus Carnival Red is a little light and makes me nervous about selecting it.

For the inevitable questions: how did you come to choose a non-Lotus colour, and how did you reach your decision to use a colour other than the original (my 1970 car is Bahama Yellow and I, too, don't want to repaint it that)?

Further, I do like the wheel wells painted body colour. My car had primer, then bitumen undercoating, then body colour paint in the wheel wells, from factory. Later, presumably, the wheel wells were undercoated again to cover up chipped paint.

Randy
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: daverubberduck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 pm

Hi Randy
I'm glad you like the colour.

When I bought the car it was red and I was thinking of changing the colour. Then I discovered errors on the registration document (V5 in the UK) in both the chassis number and the engine number and I was really concerned about it (yes I know I should have checked them before buying). I had already started on the restoration and needed to make a decision about colour so stuck with red because I was worried about changing 3 details on the V5. In the end I sorted out the errors with the help of Lotus archives.

Why did I go for a non Lotus colour? I don't know, the paint guy suggested it and it sounded like a good idea. It's so difficult choosing car colours. I have collected photos of +2s from the internet just to compare colours, have pics of well over 100 cars. I have a second project which is just a bunch of bits at the moment, I often think about colours for it, change my mind every week. This week I'm thinking about Medici Blue.
Dave
daverubberduck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: