Getting boot (or door) seal to mount without kinking?

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:26 pm

Following on from this thread http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/lotus-elan-f19/fumes-the-cockpit-dhc-while-driving-t31213.html I still can smell fumes in the car but it is greatly reduced after fitting the new boot seal. The smell is still coming in however so I am still on the hunt for where it is coming in. Today I noticed this:
IMG_20140807_133607.jpg and

Obviously the dirt is indicating (one of the places) where the fumes are getting in. This is due to this:
IMG_20140807_133657.jpg and
IMG_20140807_133713.jpg and

I cant get rid of the kink in the rubber. The trim has been on and off a few times and re positioned but the kink still remains. As you can see it is on both sides. Have I fitted this correctly?
IMG_20140807_134023.jpg and

Does anyone have any techniques to get it to fit nicely? Cutting can't be the solution as it will then not seal due to the cut wont it?
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:43 pm

Hi Keith,
Have you tried fitting it with the lip facing outwards?
Cheers,
Colin.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Keith Scarfe » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:02 pm

Thanks Colin. Yes i think you are right. It needs to be on the other way round with the lip outwards. I had it this way originally but thought ?t was wrong as it didn't fit well in the hinge area but I took it off and refitted again this evening and it definitely better lip out. I didn't press it right into the corners where the kink was before and this seems to be the solution. Will see if it is any better next time out.
Cheers for the pointer.
Keith.
Keith Scarfe
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Plus 2 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:14 pm

Keith,

Have a read through this thread lotus-chassis-f36/who-has-the-best-replacement-part-currently-t32153.html#p215511 as there are some simple tips on how to get a seal to sit right.

I agree with Colin in your pictures you definitely have the seal the wrong way round but it also looks a slightly larger profile on the EPDM celleular rubber section.

As long as this does not result in you having to slam your boot hard and the boot sits flush thenyou should be OK.

Post back any results.

Regards

Steve
The one and only genuine registered PLU5 2 Image
Plus 2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:16 pm

I fitted my new seal today and had a similar problem but noticed that i had pushed the seal on too far. My original seal was pushed on so it was touching the bottom of the rain channel but i could push my new one on further (if that makes sense) when i did the corners went out of shape. If anything mine seals too well and you can hear the air rushing out of the seal as i shut the boot lid.

I'm not sure if its the same seal as your using but i bought this one from SJSportcars (sorry for the dodgy picture)

BTW the lip on the seal is on the inside and its aprox 10mm too long in over all length (hard to see on the picture)
Attachments
P1030816.JPG and
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: