DVLA Former Keeper Discussion thread

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:41 am

In an effort to keep the other thread 'clean' to act as a database of those interested in the future of obtaining their car details I have been asked to create a new thread - so here goes:

The original thread contained this initial post (edited a bit):
I have been trying to help an Australian member get the former keeper details of his car from our wonderful (not) DVLA via their form V888. Failure previously has been down to the request emanating from a 'foreign' address. The rejection I received today on behalf of that member cited the fact I didn't appear on the record as a current keeper. So it seems 'computer says no'!

I have spoken with Alan Morgan on this matter at length and he is of the view that providing there is sufficient demand for this service it might be possible to start a campaign via the motoring press (to which he has links). The purpose of this thread then is to try and gauge demand.

So how many Elan and Plus 2 owners are there out there that have what was originally a UK registered car and would like to obtain the details of former keepers and copies of the original log books and V5??

Please could you add your name to this thread if you would like in future to be able to trace the provenance/history of your car. Can you also spread this to any other Elan owners that may not be a member of this forum as the more numbers we get the more likely that something can be done.

PLEASE DO NOT ADD YOUR NAME TO THIS THREAD BUT POST IT ON THE ONE LINKED BELOW

lotus-talk-f50/dvla-giving-former-keeper-info-non-owners-t31609.html

Could I request that if anyone wishes to discuss this issue or go off at a tangent etc that they please please do so here and not on the other thread

Thanks

Steve
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:01 am

What a great idea!
I could then get the details of exported cars, get the DVLA to issue V5s....... and sell them on ebay.

With the details of the car I could just pop down to the post office fill in a form and the DVLA would send me a new V5.

I'm not saying that anyone here would do that. But I often think that the V5's on ebay are left when cars are exported- ie the car exists, but not here.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:45 am

I am concerned about this.
I think that if we make a fuss and publicise this service we may lose it altogether.
The information which they sent me including the names, addresses and postcodes of the twelve previous owners
seemed excessive.
It suits me fine and I was pleased to obtain it, especially at the silly price of only ?5.00
I wonder what happened to privacy.
This may be still running just because nobody has noticed it, or thought to stop it.
I just think we need to be careful,
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:53 am

AHM wrote:What a great idea!
I could then get the details of exported cars, get the DVLA to issue V5s....... and sell them on ebay.

With the details of the car I could just pop down to the post office fill in a form and the DVLA would send me a new V5.

I'm not saying that anyone here would do that. But I often think that the V5's on ebay are left when cars are exported- ie the car exists, but not here.

Is this any different from taking a de-identified Elan for an MOT using just a chassis plate and then applying for an age related plate? Not saying anyone here would do that but it does happen.
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:00 pm

I could then get the details of exported cars, get the DVLA to issue V5s....... and .

Having had discussions with Alan Morgan and the Club having to get more involved with VIC checks etc since the closure of a lot of Local Vehicle Licensing Offices (LVLO's). I have suggested that the Club or appointed official become a point of contact/referral for the DVLA. This should stop a lot of what you are suggesting. Not perfect but perhaps better than that which currently exists??
Steve

elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:11 pm

ericbushby wrote:I am concerned about this.
I think that if we make a fuss and publicise this service we may lose it altogether.

Good point Eric - I thought the same and am filling in my forms now.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:21 pm

elanfan1 wrote:
I could then get the details of exported cars, get the DVLA to issue V5s....... and .

Having had discussions with Alan Morgan and the Club having to get more involved with VIC checks etc since the closure of a lot of Local Vehicle Licensing Offices (LVLO's). I have suggested that the Club or appointed official become a point of contact/referral for the DVLA. This should stop a lot of what you are suggesting. Not perfect but perhaps better than that which currently exists??

Not exactly sure what you mean? As far as Club Lotus being the nominated authority nothing has changed - Any recent changes relating to the closure of local offices have been sensible and beneficial to owners.

What I am suggesting is unlikely to happen as the DVLA don't give out vehicle details to people who cannot prove a legitimate interest or are not UK resident.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:01 pm

DVLA form V888... "as the DVLA don't give out vehicle details to people who cannot prove a legitimate interest "

Does anyone know what the standard answers are to Questions 4 and 5...

Feels like I'm back at school...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:11 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Feels like I'm back at school...

I don't know what the standard answers are... But when you find out can I copy yours?
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:34 pm

At the moment

Q4 All registered keepers from Manufacture to my ownership....1968-1997

Q5 Makng historic record of historic car.

John :?:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: