Chrome removal

PostPost by: andyhodg » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:15 pm

Hi Frank

I had the plated Spyder front wishbones sandblast and powder coated by my local shop. I explained that I wanted the flaking chrome removed before powder coating and they said "no problem". Of course they came back fully powder coated and I could not see any evidence of the plating. They have been fitted to the car for 4 years + now with no deterioration in the powder coating.

Good luck

Andy
andyhodg
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:30 am

Andy & Richard,

I agree with you both. The powder coater, why didn't I think of that. But alas, I'm packing up parts to send to the chrome plater this evening. I'll just send them off with the parts to be chromed and ask them to strip them. I tried it again this afternoon in my glass bead cabinet filled with what appears to be a volcanic sand. It didn't take off any more. Then tried the wire wheel. It just polished the chrome that was still on them. Thanks guys!

Frank

Maybe I'll send a pic. I sure like looking at pics!
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Famous Frank » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:40 am

A pic of the seat brackets. These are in like new condition with no pitting, etc. They just have chrome on them I cannot easily get off. I have sand blasted these for almost an hour and as you can see there is still chrome on them. I'm sending them out with other parts I need chrome plated and will ask the plater to dip them to remove the chrome.
Attachments
Seat clamps before dipping.jpg and
Famous Frank

67 Elan Coupe
66 Elan S2 SE
65 Elan S2
65 Elan 26R
69 S2 Europa
06 Elise
67 Barracuda
Famous Frank
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 65sunbeam » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Frank what chrome shop are you using? Happy with their work and prices? I am looking for a good shop to do some chrome work here in the SE. Thanks, Eric
65sunbeam
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: