Good restoration, amusing and interesting

PostPost by: Apx » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:39 pm

http://www.myautoproject.com/2012/09/19 ... storation/

I found it both amusing and interesting, a turbo twin cam! i would have kept it standard.
IF EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE GOING WELL, YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY OVERLOOKED
SOMETHING.
Apx
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: peterako » Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:11 am

Looks interesting!

Will have to set aside some time to watch.

Wilkins mentions Turbo versions of teh Twink in his book.
Concluding that they didn't really produce much more power than a normally aspirated twink and proved to be less reliable.
But that was 'then' :)

Thanks for the link.

Peter
I is an Inginear....please excuse my speeling!
'73 +2S 130/5
Scimitar GTE for the lazy days, 3008, Some bicycles, Wife, Kids, Cats, Dogs....chickens....cluck cluck...one duck...the others flew away!
peterako
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: englishmaninwales » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:38 pm

Interesting viewing, quite a project.
Rather worryingly he cut the steering rack platform to make the radiator fit. That platform contributes significant strength to the front box section as well as taking the steering loads. This is especially so on a Lotus 7 as it is devoid of much of the triangulation in that area compared to the later Caterham 7.
1966 Elan S3 Coupe
1994 Caterham 7
englishmaninwales
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:16 pm

peterako wrote:Looks interesting!

Will have to set aside some time to watch.

Wilkins mentions Turbo versions of teh Twink in his book.
Concluding that they didn't really produce much more power than a normally aspirated twink and proved to be less reliable.
But that was 'then' :)

Thanks for the link.

Peter

The limit with the twin cam head appears to be its lack of stiffness which means it lifts the head up and blows head gaskets with high combustion pressures. Hard enough to get a high compression race engine to not leak especially at the rear, The extra combustion pressure in a turbo twink would be a real challenge and boost would need to be kept relatively low. So in the end not much more power could be produced than with a developed normally aspirated engine as Miles says.

Maybe the new SAS casting with their better alloy (and certainly less porosity) could withstand a turbo better than the original heads. Any one got the $20k plus to want to experiment?

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: