UK Registration Plates

PostPost by: AHM » Mon May 20, 2013 12:08 am

In various previous discussions people have missed this relevant part of the legislation with regard to black backgrounds.

Saving for vehicles constructed before 1st January 1973

18. For the purposes of these Regulations a vehicle which was first registered on or after 1st January 1973 shall be treated as if it was first registered before that date if?

(a)it is an exempt vehicle for the purposes of paragraph 1A(1) of Schedule 2 to the Act(1), or
(b)not being such a vehicle, it was constructed before 1st January 1973.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Mon May 20, 2013 12:44 am

Also any problems with the MOT tester refer them to section 6.3 of the 'MOT Inspection manual'

"Vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1973
may have registration plates displaying white, grey
or silver characters on a black background."

... which quite clearly states "on a black background"
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Mon May 20, 2013 8:28 am

Not sure that I understand the point here. The Elan / Plus 2 / Europa / Seven number plate position and structure inc. background) has been accepted by the authorities for over 50 years. I think that the term is 'accepted by common usage' is a way around the strict interpretation of the law.For the Elan, the plate is too low, there is overhang from the bodywork and bumper so that it can't be seen 'from above' to the same angle as a conventional plate, but the difference is marginal. The black background (or lack of) is the least of its problems!

The E Type has the same issue...technically an illegal plate position and it's mounted at nearly 30 degrees to horizontal, but it has been accepted for 52 years. However, for modern usage (ANPR cameras and the like) the E type positioning and angle is far better than a conventional plate.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: AHM » Mon May 20, 2013 9:27 am

Mark,

I completely agree! I had the information to hand and thought it may be helpful.

The point is that if you read the archives you will see that there is a lot of discussion on the subject. People have stated that cars must be registered before 1/1/73 (which is incorrect) and have been failed MOT's because of the front number 'plate' (also incorrectly).

There are lots of posts with incorrect/partial information, and incorrect conclusions - it would have been impractical to post replies to all of them.

Incidentally the MOT manual makes a clear distinction between "VIN or Chassis number" which is another area where people seem to tie themselves in knots.
AHM
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: