Elan slot car and my 1-1 Plus 2S

PostPost by: Pete Shepherd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:13 am

I registered with this site a few years ago and have posted very little. But I am very much an Elan enthusiast and also enjoy slot racing. I often combine both interests...

This is my 1970 Plus 2S in Belgium last autumn where I went 'vintage' slot racing.

And here is one of many slot cars I have built

Although I don't know too much about 1-1 engineering and mechanics I'm quite handy with slot cars!

Thanks,

Pete
Pete Shepherd
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:59 am

Hi Pete,

Hey, that's a stunning little slot car, it's too nice to get knocked about on a racetrack !

More details please. Is the body one of those you see occasionally on Ebay ?

I'm not a slot car enthusiast by any means but the little boy in me does have a Scalextrix which usually takes over a spare bedroom at Christmas on a couple of wallpaper tables, and I could quite see myself spending ridiculous amounts of time and money in making something like that. (assuming SWMBO didn't see the project budget :wink: )

So more pictures please, maybe the "body off" and how you get it all to hold together ?

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Pete,

a couple of very good looking cars & I look forward to your reply on where you sourced the body, wheels etc.
A very long time ago when I was still at school I had a Lotus Elite body shell in 1/32 that was meant for slot racing.
I wouldn't be surprised if you have one of those in your collection also?

Congratulations on a very interesting 1st post; hope to be reading more from you & about your hobby.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanSeries2 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:10 am

Wow! Like every other kid on this site, I'd love to know how you did that! Both your cars are beautiful, Pete.

I've been vaguely looking for an Elan slot car for a while. Must see if I can build the Scalextric today - we're snowed in, so I can't even work on the garage...
1965 Elan S2
1972 Elan +2S 130
ElanSeries2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Pete Shepherd » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome, it is much appreciated.

More details please

The slot car is based on my favourite cars of all time, the Ian Walker Racing 'Gold bug' Elans. It started life as a Gunze Sangyo 1/24 static kit. I realise a few of the details are wrong such as the later boot shape and the rear arches but I did spend many hours reshaping the nose to match the flared in front ends of the Gold bugs and also converting the pop up lights to more conventional 26R type.

All of my 1/24 cars use 'vintage' running gear. This means that the parts must all be pre 72'. It is easier this way because their are more parts available in this scale from the 60's than there are new ones. Also Plastic bodies are fine as these were available in this era, modern resin bodies for example are not tolerated in this type of racing. I sourced a chassis made by Dynamic and also some beautiful Cox magnesium Lotus wheels from the 60's. Power comes from a Monogram 36D motor. The tyres are a mixture of reproduction urethanes on the rear and original NOS rubber on the front. Most of these items came from swapmeets, slot car buddys, or ebay US.

I've built some other Elans too, the Gold Leaf car was built about 6 years ago for an event in the UK, It's done a lot of racing since! The other Gold bug was built for someone else and is no longer with me.

A very long time ago when I was still at school I had a Lotus Elite body shell in 1/32 that was meant for slot racing. I wouldn't be surprised if you have one of those in your collection also?

It sounds like it would have been a Supershells body and yes I do have one but no picture on the internet of it. I have also built a modern resin updated and more detailed copy of it.

Details like the exhausts are all handmade, the rear lights are from France and originally for 1/43rd static models.

we're snowed in, so I can't even work on the garage...

Tell me about it! This winter has been particularly bad for spraying model cars outside....

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Thanks,

Pete
Pete Shepherd
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gearbox » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Very impressive. I didn't know supershells had made these, but I did guess that the gold one was from a Gunze Sanyo kit. The wheel detail is especially impressive. Russkit made real wire wheels back in the 60's, they would very sweet on the Elite. Kudos Allan
gearbox
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:31 pm

Yes you have jogged my memory; the Elite was in fact Supershells.
I robbed a motor out of an OO electric train locomotive for it------------really high tech stuff :lol:
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vernon.taylor » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Salut Pete

Amazing models and very nice 1:1, too.

Just need a vid' of you racing one of your cars to victory - never seen a vintage slot car race.

@+

Vernon
vernon.taylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Pistacchio sprint 72 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:19 pm

Do?t you damage them when you race them? I mean being hit by other competitore or driving off track?

I use to drive mini z on a large slot race track. If my body shell was new and shiny , it sadly did not take long to loose mirrors, spoilers etc...
Cooled down by CliveyBoy!
Pistacchio sprint 72
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: clarko1230 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:42 am

For those who like Slot Racing Elans here is one produced in Spain by Mini-Replicas
http://www.minireplicashop.com/Lotus-Elan-S-2
It is a 1/32 resin made slot car at a fair price
Livery comes from an historic racer than run at Spanish circuits some years ago
Inspired in the 26R it is very tiny.
I strongly recommend it
clarko1230
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: