Brands Hatch Lotus Festival

PostPost by: MickG » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 pm

Just incase some of you have missed this taken from the web site blurb:
A 50th anniversary Elan parade will be followed by a procession from Lotus owners for two laps behind a pace car. Owners wishing to take part must sign on in the Lotus Motorsport trade tent between 10am and 11am on Saturday 18 August and they will receive a wrist band allowing them onto the track. Passengers must be 14 or over and no crash helmets are permitted.

Note the need to register at the Lotus Motorsport Trade Tent :D

Mick G
MickG
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:24 pm

I will be attending on the Sunday with my S4, I was hoping to do Saturday as well, but family things are in the way again. 2 laps of the full GP circuit behind a pace car will take a little while with so many vehicles involved, I wonder if they will shorten the parade to the Indy circuit?

The Lotus Elan race will be a real spectacle and a memory to cherish for years to come, many thanks in advance to all who are taking part. A normal historic type meeting is always good for a few Elan race cars, but this will be a real treat. Has there ever been this many Elans forming an official race grid? (Pete do you know?)

It looks like Elan parking is just inside the main entrance, which is a bit of a pain as I normally like to drive round to the South Bank so that the car is nearby at picnic time, hopefully we can park there on entrance and move around later. Anyone who wants to say hi has only got to look out for a Pistachio over white car, there won't be many Elans the same colour and none of them will say SUPERSPRINT on the doors unless I have started a fashion.

Weather is looking good, let's hope for a memorable weekend.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Spyder fan wrote:I will be attending on the Sunday with my S4...
It looks like Elan parking is just inside the main entrance, which is a bit of a pain as I normally like to drive round to the South Bank so that the car is nearby at picnic time, hopefully we can park there on entrance and move around later. Anyone who wants to say hi has only got to look out for a Pistachio over white car, there won't be many Elans the same colour and none of them will say SUPERSPRINT on the doors unless I have started a fashion.

As it seems you are going to be late, why not park near that sign!?!

Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:02 pm

Old English White wrote:
Spyder fan wrote:I will be attending on the Sunday with my S4...

As it seems you are going to be late, why not park near that sign!?!

Listen very carefully, I will say this only once.....

I will park next to you only if you have some wonky J P Chenet and some Boursin' with biscuits :wink:

Also please ensure that you bring the picture of the fallen Madonna with the big boobies by Van Clomp

Good Moaning!

220px-J__P__Chenet.jpg
220px-J__P__Chenet.jpg (10.38 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

260px-Boursin_cheese.jpg
260px-Boursin_cheese.jpg (14.36 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

madonna.jpg
madonna.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:30 pm

Damned!!!
Too late for shopping!
Next time, I'll try to make it...
I 'll be happy to meet, wherever you park your SuperSpyderSprint.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:29 pm

Okay, so what happened to the Elan only parking on Sunday, the most important day, the actual race day that was supposed to mark the 50th year of the Elan? I was turned away from the main gate because I didn't have a vehicle pass and told to park outside the gate or on the South Bank.

I really wanted people to see my car and I'm sure that quite a few others wanted to show and shine going by the the very disgruntled owners I bumped into out in the back of beyond. Don't get me wrong, I like the South Bank parking area, it's convenient and near some of the best viewing areas for the circuit, but it's a destination rather than a place that all pass through and there were a lot of nice Elans that people could have looked at if we had been able to park where we were supposed to be just inside the main gates as per Saturday which is the prelude to the main event. I also missed out on the sense of camaraderie you get when a whole bunch of like minded individuals come together.

Normally for a non specific classic event I like to just blend in, but this was meant to celebrate the Elan. The Lotus Cortinas had their own parking area and lots of them were together and a very nice display they made if you like that sort of thing.

Did Club Lotus get it wrong again? I asked for a vehicle pass for the Elan only parking area when I ordered my tickets and was told it wasn't necessary as 'ALL ELANS' would be directed to the 'ELAN ONLY' parking area just inside the main gates. On arrival some kid with a MSVR jacket asked me if I had a vehicle pass, I told him I was driving an Elan and there was special parking laid on just inside the gate for Elan's............ "you need a pass or you can park outside the gate or as you have come in a Lotus you can park on the South Bank"

Great organisation! Thanks a whole bunch Club Lotus!!

Sue and I enjoyed the day anyway, those brave souls who scoured the car parks for gems came and saw Kermit and the other nice cars parked nearby. The Elan race was great, although maybe not as many cars as I was expecting?
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanski » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:35 am

Unfortunately the parking wasn't any clearer on Saturday either and the Elan parade lap was just as badly organised. The idea of Elans at the front followed by other Lotuses went out the window and it was just one big long line of cars all mixed up. Some Elans nearer the back were completely swamped by Elises and Esprits etc. My poor car didn't feel like it was its birthday at all. I thought it was a bit of a missed opportunity and would have made for an excellent photo if it were done properly.

Was still a good day though, well attended by Lotus owners and the action on track was excellent.
elanski
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: sprinter55 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:12 am

I totally agree that it was a missed opportunity to have all the elans togather for a potentially great photo shot ! I managed to breeze into the club lotus area in my sprint on Saturday morning but was accosted by similiar drivers who had been forced to park outside :?
Looking forward to the special classic ELAN (or similiar) parade lap at lunchtime was diluted by the elise/exige fraternity who seemed to have no problem registering to participate, in fact I wasn't even asked what car I was driving at registration ! It was a pity that we could not have at least the elans at the front :cry:
Anyway, a great weekend and weather was pretty good too !!
sprinter55
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:35 am

Back from Brands Hatch,
With mixed impressions,
Warm welcome at the SELOC camp, familly/friendly atmospher, some poor event, some really good. The Elan 50th was great and Paul made it well... We are waiting for the video!
But yes, no real interest for having all the Elan's on the same display, that I expected... Every Elan's keep stucked to their club... What a shame! No wonder that when the parade started, they all were lost! Adding the fact that the M100 owners were about to believe than their cars were 50... It could have been a better birthday.
Anyway, the weather help a lot and it has been a pleasure to put faces on some names, and for those who know about my diff problems, I have to tell that "OEW" made its way back, direct to my mecanic, luckily positionned on my road.
Here are some of my Ipictures:
I prayed for my diff , everybody were looking at me!
From top, seem you like it red!
Frenchies Elan's
...Some of yours...
Qualification time sheet Elan 50Th race...
Hi Paul! and btw: Well done!
Some F1 history...
Europa Cup french drivers...
As I said, a warm welcome...
Last edited by Old English White on Mon Aug 20, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:14 pm

Wow, your wife has a pretty smile! :lol:
50/0951 1968 Wedgewood blue +2, 1990 Mini Cooper RSP
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:51 pm

Jason1 wrote:Wow, your wife has a pretty smile! :lol:

No mistake, I said a warm welcome from you, the brits! :wink:
Btw, the Motor Sport Girls visited each stand, making pictures with every one who wanted to...
Having a thought to those who weren't here... I asked a friend to press the button.
With the years, I have a pretty big collection...
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: richardcox_lotus » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:56 pm

Yes it was a bit hit-and-miss with the organisation. it was good to meeet you Christain - albeit briefly, but for everyone else I failed to meet up with, here is my flickr link from Sunday.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardc_flickr/sets/72157631158839890/

Hopefully my Elan will be ready for the 60th Birthday celebration (At current rate of progress...... :? )

Regards
Richard
Richard
'72 Sprint
richardcox_lotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Mon Aug 20, 2012 4:34 pm

The "lady" with the silicone stuffed yellow T shirt looked as if it was her 50th birthday. A bit of decorum is so much more appealing.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: p.faurie » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:41 pm

jimj wrote:The "lady" with the silicone stuffed yellow T shirt looked as if it was her 50th birthday. A bit of decorum is so much more appealing.
Jim

I have it on good authority that they are OE fitment,and she is willing to prove it to the eu,tuv and mot and any other body[re posting in free parking] :lol: regards phil
p.faurie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Aug 20, 2012 10:10 pm

OE of course, like a Zetec Elan. +2 of course, very fast and as for the handling.....................
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: