Lotus Elan

Club Lotus Show & Festival 2011 - Donington Park 13/14 Aug

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:27 pm

Hi Folks,

A couple came up to Carol and I on the stand and looked at our car and said they had just bought the ''pink one over there''.... And they said they had paid 17K for it. Even allowing for the admittedly quite good interior etc I said he needed to budget for another ?20K..They almost had a palourie. When I told him it could cost him 6K to sort the paint out properly he went a whiter shade of pale and the lady with him looked ready to kill him... Oh dear!!

Nice project though. Would have tackled that one myself... In a different colour though.. :roll: :lol: :lol: 4

ab13+cb
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
User avatar
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Location: Fife Scotland

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:34 pm

And yet it's still on Ebay with over a day to go; very odd!
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
User avatar
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1716
Joined: 25 Sep 2003
Location: Norfolk UK

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 pm

alexblack13 wrote:Hi Folks,

A couple came up to Carol and I on the stand and looked at our car and said they had just bought the ''pink one over there''.... And they said they had paid 17K for it. Even allowing for the admittedly quite good interior etc I said he needed to budget for another ?20K..They almost had a palourie. When I told him it could cost him 6K to sort the paint out properly he went a whiter shade of pale and the lady with him looked ready to kill him... Oh dear!!

Nice project though. Would have tackled that one myself... In a different colour though.. :roll: :lol: :lol: 4

ab13+cb


Oh dear! is this the 'pink' Elan that Tim was mentioning to me? The poor bloke, obviously an Elan virgin; probably thought all he had to do was to give it a quick ?1500 respray and he would have a bargain 40k classic car..... I read the Ebay advert earlier and it made me shudder, why do people insist on getting the engine to turn over and fire up when it's been sitting doing nothing for 20+ years, it's a totally pointless exercise due to the gaskets and seals all being perished away, not to mention gummed up piston rings and valve guides, this car needs total stripping and recommissioning. Alex I agree that 20k should sort it.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2853
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: Old English White » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:29 am

Spyder fan wrote:
alexblack13 wrote:Hi Folks,

A couple came up to Carol and I on the stand and looked at our car and said they had just bought the ''pink one over there''.... And they said they had paid 17K for it. Even allowing for the admittedly quite good interior etc I said he needed to budget for another ?20K..They almost had a palourie. When I told him it could cost him 6K to sort the paint out properly he went a whiter shade of pale and the lady with him looked ready to kill him... Oh dear!!

Nice project though. Would have tackled that one myself... In a different colour though.. :roll: :lol: :lol: 4

ab13+cb


Oh dear! is this the 'pink' Elan that Tim was mentioning to me? The poor bloke, obviously an Elan virgin; probably thought all he had to do was to give it a quick ?1500 respray and he would have a bargain 40k classic car..... I read the Ebay advert earlier and it made me shudder, why do people insist on getting the engine to turn over and fire up when it's been sitting doing nothing for 20+ years, it's a totally pointless exercise due to the gaskets and seals all being perished away, not to mention gummed up piston rings and valve guides, this car needs total stripping and recommissioning. Alex I agree that 20k should sort it.

Regards


At least they ll have the only one Elan with a tow hook arround there...
Image

Christian.
Btw, was good to meet every of the usual suspects. Good to see than some of our japanese friends were at the show, but now traveling with the all familly...
Image
User avatar
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 754
Joined: 12 Dec 2005
Location: France

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:41 am

Christian,
great photo.... Tim told me about the tow bar on the pink car and mentioned I should put one on my S4 which I am seriously considering, seriously considering ignoring his advice that is :)

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2853
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:59 am

Spyder fan wrote:Christian,
great photo.... Tim told me about the tow bar on the pink car and mentioned I should put one on my S4 which I am seriously considering, seriously considering ignoring his advice that is :)

Regards


But...where are you gonna anchor the parachute to??!! :wink: :)

download/file.php?id=14471&mode=view

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Outta Here

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:59 am

nebogipfel wrote:And yet it's still on Ebay with over a day to go; very odd!


With about 12 hours left:

"This listing (110728799354) has been removed, or this item is not available"

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: 30 Sep 2003
Location: Outta Here

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:58 am

Just to let you keep you lot up to date - the ebay listing has been removed because the car was indeed sold at the Donington show. If the former owners had left the auction run for a few more minutes they would not have been able to remove it and doubtless that would have caused some interesting debate at auction end.

I know the new owner of the car shall - we call her Heather? - and far from being an Elan virgin he has owned these cars for around 35 years and is not unaware of the costs of restoration.

The intention is to restore the car as funds allow over the next few years with the owner doing a lot of the work himself. Doubtless there will be progress reports from time to time.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
User avatar
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: 13 Jan 2004
Location: Cardiff in Welsh Wales

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:10 am

elanfan1 wrote:Just to let you keep you lot up to date - the ebay listing has been removed because the car was indeed sold at the Donington show. If the former owners had left the auction run for a few more minutes they would not have been able to remove it and doubtless that would have caused some interesting debate at auction end.

I know the new owner of the car shall - we call her Heather? - and far from being an Elan virgin he has owned these cars for around 35 years and is not unaware of the costs of restoration.

The intention is to restore the car as funds allow over the next few years with the owner doing a lot of the work himself. Doubtless there will be progress reports from time to time.


Perhaps the new owners wife has been kept in the dark all these years regarding the cost then :lol: this maybe the reason for the reaction that Alex got from them, shock from her and sheepish embarrassment from him!

It would be good to see what happens to the car, keep us posted.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
User avatar
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2853
Joined: 11 Jun 2009
Location: Kent country & Sussex seaside UK

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:16 pm

I've got to say he did not look too bothered at all. But if looks could kill. Good to know he knows what's what, but he did not look to like the sound of 6k paint jobs... Neither did his Partner / wife.... I perhaps should have kept shtoomph..

:lol: :lol: :lol: ..

He might be a very happy bunny when he gets a look at the car... Then again he might not. But if it's sound and the running gear just needs a good clean and refit with new bushes etc he should be fine with it.. I am serious when I say I might have had a go at it too.. All depends on what one finds. Chassis condition etc, but as mentioned above you will be lucky to just fire it up and go. Age wear and all that..

It will be a super little car though no doubt about that.

Mystery sorted then...

Alex B...

Al' ..............
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
User avatar
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Location: Fife Scotland

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 pm

I was there on Sunday between noon & approx. 3pm. Unfortunately the 3 times I went to the workmate there was no one around so I did not get to meet any of you. :roll:

Said high to the Cub Elite guys & had a good natter there.

The highlight for me was seeing DAD10 & all the great cars in the parking lot. I have never seen so many nice Elites/Elans/Elan +2s & Espirits in once place.

I also bought Brian Buckland's Elan restoration book on the Club Lotus Stand & then got him to sign it, I then schlepped it back to the US on Tuesday!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
User avatar
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3623
Joined: 15 Sep 2010
Location: Long Island NY, USA

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:37 pm

After traveling all that way; what a shame!

We must do something different & get ourselves more organised to arrange some way of meeting each other.
Like yourself, I missed out on meeting some guys I would have liked to have met.

I bet Brian's book pushed you close to the maximum weight limit for your baggage :lol:

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati


Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
User avatar
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3062
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Location: Burnham-on-Mud

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:46 pm

Most unfortunate. We could not have been far away, as we were on the stand most of the time. Sometimes were were away looking and talking to others. Lots to see and drool over though.

Brian's book is a heavy blighter that's true but well worth the effort.

Sorry we missed you... :?

Alex & Carol Black. 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
User avatar
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 2306
Joined: 17 Oct 2007
Location: Fife Scotland
Previous

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests