Malvern Club Lotus Show

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:41 am

Never mind the NEC,anyone going to the above????

Have got my ticket...

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:47 pm

Will probably go...
Depends on the kids though, my wife's having a girly weekend, so have two boys to look after...
Strangely, they get bored at car events unless the engines are running making lots and lots of noise!
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:11 pm

It's a parts fair more than a show. You could trade-in the boys for some bits Tim! Or at least threaten to do so unless they show real and sustained interest.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Fri Oct 02, 2009 1:25 pm

Yes, I will be there collecting my +2 sill kit and on the look out for other body items as required.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:53 pm

Just checking the GPS for location..... Erm will let you know

AB... 8)
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alexblack13 » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:20 pm

Bad date for me. I am at my son's wedding next day (yes it is a Sunday) Also it is a bit of a run for us. GPS says 345 mls!!

Have to give it a miss... :?

AB...
Alex Black.
Now Sprintless!!
alexblack13
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:48 pm

not sure i'd get much for them..
the older one has the character of a lotus, highly strung, fast, good looking and breaks down for no reason...
the younger one is good is more of your Us muscle car, good low down torque, not that fast round corners, makes one hell of a noise!
any offers?
Cheers
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: +2mad » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:49 pm

Well what a disappointment!

Very few stands - maybe a third of one hall (itself a half the size of Donington), few visitors - it wasn't busy all the stallholders said so (though doubtless the CL spin will say it was a roaring success!!) . At this level of support I just cannot see the Parts Fair being viable as a going concern.

Twas a lovely day though!
+2mad
New-tral

PostPost by: dusty » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:19 pm

Glad I didn't go to the expense of flying over to it then... Spent the day welding in new metal on my Seven Chassis instead.
dusty
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:33 am

It was a lovely day.. but, being a lazy stayabed, we didn't get there until 11.30. All stall holders I asked said, "yes I had loads of those, but sold them/it earlier..." - moral, get there earlier.. I understand most of the real dealings went on the night before between stallholders.

However, yes there were meagre pickings, but still worth a day out, if only for the scenery & local hostelries. I also enjoyed the non-Lotus autojumble, some bargains to be had for parts bin Lotus analogues i.e two new, boxed Square 8 spotlights for a +2 for ?45 the pair; +2 door check straps, ?5 each (?30 in the Lotus Hall) etc etc. My target was +2 dash/underdash trims - see paragraph above. I did however have one success - a passenger side underdash trim manufactured in stout fibreglass, rather than ridiculously fragile vacuum formed polystyrene. Who made these? Are there any more dash trims made in fibreglass? Any interest in getting more done?

Some lovely cars on show inside & out, much fewer than the NAC do, but still interesting.

Made me even more impatient to get back on the road in a Lotus... been nine months now, but my +2 showed signs of life last week with a brief engine run..

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Dear All
Just back from Malvern and yes it wasn't worth flying over for,and if I wasn't a Lotus nut-wouldn't be worth driving over for....but for the fact that it was held in conjunction with a regular autojumble,,,and grandkids live not far away...was worth it.

Sorry forgot to take the camera,there were some nice elans and plus2s there,would have been worth a few piccies...

On the downside,on the return journey on the M6 started smelling petrol fumes,pulled over to a fountain of petrol from the high pressure rail (home-made),,who says there isn't a God?

Well,trailered home by a very very nice man and the fuel rail will be fixed in time for the Huddersfield Auto jumble next Sunday (not worth it either apart from the drive over Holme Moss)

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:05 pm

Was worth it for the glorious drive across gloucestershire and Worcestershire...
Only sad part was the large number of slow cars on the road?
Tim
1972 +2S130
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TeeJay » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:21 pm

The show had less trade stands, less Lotus cars and fewer visitors than all the others I have attended in the last few years. :(

I collected my +2 Kit, but it only had 1 sill, no mounting plates, but it did have the closing plates. So now I have to wait for the other sill, mounting plates and bolts. :x

The weather was great, good scenery, interesting drive down and back.
Saw john.p.cleggs white +2 complete with the Lotuselan.net badge.
The regular auto jumble had several stalls of interest. :)

But best of all, saw some very good examples of restored Elan & +2s and spoke to several owners.
Just what I needed to keep me enthused to carry forward my complete rebuild. :D

PS. John, sorry to hear of your misfortune, but pleased you all got home safely.
Trevor
1968 Elan +2 50/0173
TeeJay
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Si_130/5 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:17 pm

Jeremy, I remember Christopher Neil making fibreglass replacement under dash trim sections for the Plus Two.
I showed up just after eight and there were some goodies to be found. A friend bought a reconditioned Girling Mk IIB servo and I found a five speed gaiter and a very good ambient temp gauge - the vendor actually had two but one had worrying kinks in the tube. The autojumble was good and we managed to make up our original tool kits.
It's true the turnout was pitiful compared with Stoneleigh which, perhaps, being centrally located was more accessible to those from the North, East and South.

Here is a handful of +2 orientated pics from Saturday - and one taken at Stoneleigh to remind us what a Lotus parts fair used to be.

Best wishes,

Si
Attachments
ZSC_0608.jpg and
ZSC_0625 .jpg and
ZSC_0623.JPG and
ZSC_0622.JPG and
ZSC_0614.JPG and
ZSC_0344.JPG and
Si_130/5
Second Gear
Second Gear