Donington 2001 - minimal Elan content

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:33 pm

Saturday Morning, March 10th 2001 - Ian Stowe ariving with his U.S delivered S2 Elan.
Chassis 26/4097 spent most of it years on Long Island before Ian bought it and brought it home.
Ian and friend on arrival

I took the photos of the LoCort and I never saw the dog for 5 years
Whats that dog collar doing there, looks like a big Lab on second glance.

I just love MkVI's, I have always wanted one

Graham Caples brought this MkX, its was the hit of the trip for me. Just looking at it I can see Frank Costen strapped on the bonnet at 100 looking at the airflow under the front wheel arch, can you imagine the balls that took? We were standing around on Saturday Afternoon and Mike Costin walks up and starts chatting, He gets asked if its an mkVIII or a mkX, one look at the engine bay and a definetive "mk10" was his mater of fact answer.

I was standing looking at this Eleven and Vic Thomas is standing next to me. I don't think I knew who he was at that moment. I said "looks like an early one", the look I got back was priceless. He asks to take a photo of the nose (bottom photo) I said sure and he takes it, I said I'll scan it and email it whats your email address, to which he replies vic.thomas@xsff. A few years ago I was emailing Russ Hoenig about a question on these photos and he tells me its the first Eleven and and Vic owned it. I then understood the look on vics face

This next photo is not at donington but at Miles Wilkins shop, we were wondering around and I spoted this Elite, I thought it looked a little different so I took a couple of pictures, it turns out its the 4th built, owned by Tony Mantle.

This is Paul Matty's stand in 2004, the asking price for this beauty was 5000 GBP.

This was outside my friends shop in 2004, Its probably still there, I don't know if it was complete or not...

Last edited by garyeanderson on Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:41 am

Ron Hickman's money maker (next to the MK X), the original die cast "Workmate" is also a bit of a Star.
I would't mind one of those :D
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: paddy » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:09 am

D.J.Pelly wrote:Ron Hickman's money maker (next to the MK X), the original die cast "Workmate" is also a bit of a Star.

I got one of those die-cast workmates for Xmas when they first came out in 1973 - I was 8 :)

It must have lasted 20 years - and I've been through several of the newer ones since then.

Paddy
1963 Elan S1
paddy
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:35 pm

paddy wrote:
D.J.Pelly wrote:Ron Hickman's money maker (next to the MK X), the original die cast "Workmate" is also a bit of a Star.

I got one of those die-cast workmates for Xmas when they first came out in 1973 - I was 8 :)

It must have lasted 20 years - and I've been through several of the newer ones since then.

Paddy

Wot; don't say you don't have it any more :shock: :roll:
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:43 pm

A GRP Cortina- now that is rare. :twisted:
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Old English White » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:44 am

elansprint71 wrote:A GRP Cortina- now that is rare. :twisted:

That was the developpment car for the metalflake roof and body they used later on the +2 .
Christian. :mrgreen:
Old English White
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: