Powder Coating

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:16 pm

Hi Guys

Has anyone had any parts powder coated in Essex (or near) and could recommend a good company?

I am about to overhaul my rear suspension and would like it to be sparkling clean :lol:

Any ideas on the sort of price I should be paying for say blast and coat a rear spring??

Thanks

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:40 pm

Only places I have used were in Cambridge or redditch..
Cost seem to depend upon the mood in the powder coating shop.
eg ?60 to do on suspension side (front and back) including sand blasting, one month then ?80 for the other side the next month (perhaps left handed powder coat is more expensive :?)
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:01 pm

Tim

What did you get coated for ?60+?80?

I was thinking:

Wishbones
Springs
Spring abutments (top)
Dust shields

So if you got front and back, then for just the rear I should be looking at about ?70?? That sounds a lot?

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: tdafforn » Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:21 pm

I got the wishbones, springs, spring abutment plate, front upright, antiroll bar.
Costs are so variable, its hard to assess. The lotus parts where done via Paul Matty (I'm not sure howmuch overhead he puts on them, but he gets them done in redditch I think).
However I also got all 4 corners of a triumph spitfire done in cambridge, and that was 70 pounds total. the amount of work was about the same!
So very variable
Tim
tdafforn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: carrierdave » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:27 pm

Hi Jason,
I'm not sure of the difference in mileage from where you are to Cambridge but there is a company in Sittingbourne in kent that does powder coating.

http://www.bpblasting.co.uk

Dave
carrierdave
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanmac » Fri Nov 10, 2006 12:51 pm

I had all the suspension powder coated on my previous car at the company I worked for at the time. The manager of the coating plant insisted that I had all the parts either etch primed or zinc/passivated before powder coating for a much extended life. Any knocks or chips would allow rust to creep under the plastic coating. I didnt keep the car long enough to prove /disprove this advice. I had the parts coated in Nylon which is a lot tougher than the usual polythene.
elanmac
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Fri Nov 10, 2006 1:08 pm

Folk's,

I am going to get my suspension done by electro plating, this can be done in colour and will not chip, not sure where you would get this done in the UK me being on the other side of the globe.

Tony w
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: batfish » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:13 pm

I made the mistake of powder coating a chassis a few years ago, within one year it was coming off in sheets as water gets under any small nick and breaks the bond to the metal. The previous chassis which was painted with 2 coats of Hammerite was still good 8 years later. I have since had suspension components nickel plated which looks good.

Andy
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Jason1 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 6:00 pm

Andy

How much did the nickel plating cost?

Jason
Jason1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: christoph » Sat Nov 11, 2006 2:18 pm

Hi Jason, I use these guys. http://www.vulcanshotblasting.com/ About 45mins or so from you :?: and they do Lotus factory work apparently. Cost me ?80 for a complete Spyder roll bar including pre blast / strip
Hth, Chris.
Last edited by christoph on Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
christoph
New-tral

PostPost by: batfish » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:48 pm

Jason

I think it was less than ?100 for the front suspension

Andy
Attachments
progress 1 007.jpg and
Plated front suspension
batfish
Third Gear
Third Gear