Best Elan Driving Roads in the UK

PostPost by: innesw » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:07 pm

I agree with Alex on on the A93 Glenshee road then on to the A939 and royal deside, (rather James Bond esque 2 weeks ago with the remaing snow and the roads where clear of salt and grit from the winter).

I also a big fan of the Cairn O'mount road (B974) if your ever headed from Laurencekirk northwards (through Fettercairn and ending up in Banchory) although it's a honey pot for the boys and their bikes at the weekends.

But my favourite road of all time is the Bealach na Ba Pass on the way to Applecross on the west coast it's a fantastic pass perfect for the Elan and looks beautiful whatever the weather. (Aston Martin did their videoing for promoting one of their cars up there). Although it is quite a mighty trek to get up there... (A good excuse for a proper road trip :D )

applecross.jpg and

Innes
Innes
1965 Elan S2 (26/4681)
1973 Elan+2S 130/5 JPS
innesw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Innes,
I stayed at Strathcarron last year at my business partners house (opposite the hotel, so no far to walk for a dram), unfortunately I flew to Inverness and picked up a boring Peugeot hire car for my weeks stay. The drive to Applecross over the pass was breathtaking even in a French eurobox, I really, really wished I could have taken my +2, it would have been perfect for the local roads. Langoustines with garlic butter plus local bread and white wine sort of made up for the absence of a Lotus when we got there.

Thanks for rekindling the memories!

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sparkey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 pm

innesw wrote:I agree with Alex on on the A93 Glenshee road then on to the A939 and royal deside, (rather James Bond esque 2 weeks ago with the remaing snow and the roads where clear of salt and grit from the winter).

I also a big fan of the Cairn O'mount road (B974) if your ever headed from Laurencekirk northwards (through Fettercairn and ending up in Banchory) although it's a honey pot for the boys and their bikes at the weekends.

But my favourite road of all time is the Bealach na Ba Pass on the way to Applecross on the west coast it's a fantastic pass perfect for the Elan and looks beautiful whatever the weather. (Aston Martin did their videoing for promoting one of their cars up there). Although it is quite a mighty trek to get up there... (A good excuse for a proper road trip :D )

applecross.jpg

Innes

I was up there on a trip to the highlands on by bike and I agree it's fantastic bit of road - great on a motorbike as the width isn't so much of an issue, but even then some of the hairpins near the top take a bit of effort to get round !
road to applecross by sparkey.sprite, on Flickr
sparkey
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: