LOG and a trip home

PostPost by: GLB » Sat Oct 19, 2024 9:16 pm

This LOG had about 120 cars in attendance, but only 9 older cars. A little disappointing . I enjoy all the cars but having older cars that is my primary interest. I enjoy meeting their owners, hearing their stories, how they have been maintained or restored or modified and looking for ideas to better my own cars.
At the show there was one Caterham 7, one type 14 Elite, one Renault Europa (original owner) one Europa TC Special with original paint, pinstriping and interior, (2nd long time owner), my +2s and one other with dealer installed AC, an Elan Sprint with fuel injection hiding in the Zenith Stromberg throttle bodies (one owner also) and a series 3 coupe (ex race car with a series 4 rear clip) being returned to street use. All cared for by great people. My Elan was awarded first place in class, but a small sample. Also long distance driven award for older cars.
On Sunday a friend had signed up for a parade lap at Austins formula 1 track, the Circuit of the Americas (COTA) Unfortunately he was involved in an accident on the way to Austin in his Evora. He is okay and car is repairable. He asked if I would drive him on the parade lap and I said sure. Waivers signed, hood off and we did. Elan was the oldest car there followed by the TC Europa and a bunch of Elises and Evoras. 54 cars total. I am a restorer and casual driver, not a racer. At 77 years old I have never done any thing like that before. Even at only 60 MPH or so it was exciting. Exciting second gear sharp turns and esses give just enough taste of real racing to give me even more appreciation for real racers and their skill.
As we were readying to leave COTA I met our Sat night speaker, automotive journalist Sam Smith. He had spoken about his own Elan series 2 and how much he had enjoyed it. I offered to let him drive my Elan back to the hotel and he took me up on the offer. We erected the top for sun protection and off we went. He asked if he could really drive it and I said sure. Great mechanical sympathy but he did drive it. We had a really nice visit and he is a great guy. About half way to the hotel something happened. It idled and 2000 RPM and was not right. Later after some thought I found a broken thackery washer on the top front of the forward carb. It had cracked at the bottom and was not apparent at first glance. I took it out and tightened the nut to seal the manifold leak and all is well. This was my LOG of manifold leaks. I have ordered and received some rubber cushions from Ken at Dave Bean Engineering. He recommends cushions on the top and thackery washers on the bottom.. Thanks Ken
Drive home was mostly uneventful. Used all of the brakes and a lot of the handling to avoid a skunk who had trundled onto the highway in the dark. He owes his life to a Lotus
I forgot to mention another road hazard which my friend calls road alligators. Long strips of tire tread from semis. that lurk in the road to bite you and they could take a large bite out of a small fiberglass car.
Still got about 22.5 MPG. Had the car for several miles at 5000 RPM, 90ish MPH. Car ran sweet, steady with no twitchiness or lightening of the steering and it sounded great.. Both cars used about one quart of Mobil 1 15w50 synthetic oil per 1000 miles. very consistant with other trips.
I want to thank my wife of 51 years for putting up with all of this old car nonsense for many years. Of course when we started they were not old cars, just used ones. And my son for helping out on several long drives to LOGs. I have for better or worse infected him with the old car bug with all its frustrations and rewards. In fact his E type Jag had its first ride home on a recovery truck today. Crankshaft pulley came apart, but no other damage.
I would also like to thank my long distance driving mentor, Ross Robbins. His inspiration had led me to these cross country trips. Thanks Ross I think.
Driving one of these old cars, or probably any old car in the middle of nowhere and everything is working is very rewarding. I would encourage you to try it. I hope I have a few more in me, but Pittsburgh is a long way to the next LOG, and its earlier in Sept so too hot but you never know.. Gary
GLB
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: