1963 S1 Rich racing heritage

PostPost by: andre.hine » Sat Jul 13, 2024 4:10 pm

Hi gang, I’m André. I live in Melbourne AU. I’m rebuilding the car my late dad raced (and dominated) in the West Australian street car category through the 80s & 90s. The car is in as many practicality conceivable pieces as it could be (the diff and gearbox are still assembled). I started the project this week with one of dads oldest friend who helped dad modify the car over several decades. The history of this car and dad’s work and accomplishments are remarkable. Too much to put here in an opening post but I’m sure every one of you (me included) weirdos will find astonishing.
andre.hine
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Jul 13, 2024 9:03 pm

Welcome Andre!

We're a pretty good bunch of weirdos so you'll fit right in! :mrgreen:
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Sat Jul 13, 2024 10:26 pm

Wow, that's an early car (I note you claim 26/0303), is it actually a 26R?

This is going to be an interesting thread.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:13 pm

Hi Andre
Great to hear your restoring your Dads car, what a privilege. I’m in Sydney and have a few early Elans including a late S2 26R. If you get stuck for parts or inspiration reach out.
Drop me a PM and I’ll share my contact details.
Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: andre.hine » Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:31 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:Wow, that's an early car (I note you claim 26/0303), is it actually a 26R?

This is going to be an interesting thread.

Nope, not a 26R. But it was tweaked and modified to the point that the original road car (that I’m rebuilding) could no longer do what dad wanted. So it was put aside in the late 80s or early 90s. By that stage dad and his mate had created an entirely bespoke new body (flat bottom, skirt, spoilers etc) out of Kevlar and a Cosworth BDA under the bonnet and a second Elan chassis. So I have the original shell, chassis, block, interior etc that I started this weekend.
andre.hine
New-tral

PostPost by: andre.hine » Sun Jul 14, 2024 3:43 pm

vstibbard wrote:Hi Andre
Great to hear your restoring your Dads car, what a privilege. I’m in Sydney and have a few early Elans including a late S2 26R. If you get stuck for parts or inspiration reach out.
Drop me a PM and I’ll share my contact details.
Cheers
Vaughan

Thanks Vaughan. PM sent!

There are definitely some random parts missing. e.g. Right rear brake calliper (but I somehow have 2 left rear, one of which is missing the hand brake calliper?!). Also missing one of the driveshafts that connects diff to the hub (but somehow have a pair of the longer Plus 2 driveshafts!). So, I suspect I’ll have as many extra bits as what I’m missing. Pretty sure I’ve seen 3 steering columns and 2 cam covers…
andre.hine
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Jul 14, 2024 10:48 pm

Hi Andre
I see your car in the Marc Schargen book on Historic Lotus Sports and Racing cars. I would suggest some CV drive shaft axles rather than replacing the donuts. and finding another axle. The Elantricbits ones are made here in Victoria. If you need help on other apsects of an Elan reassembly , especially the engine rebuild, let me know

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: