new Dutch Elan +2 owner

PostPost by: alleggerita » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:44 am

I am Jack from the Netherlands, I am not entirely new here but after many years of reading and information gathering I have bought an Elan +2, not before having considered many potential project cars in various conditions.

More precisely an S130 4 speed that left the factory in 1971 in Cirrus White with a silver roof. We can safely call it a project as the entire car is dismantled and in boxes. The body is in good shape and paint stripped, the Spyder stressed skin chassis is in good condition with a few repairs. The project appears complete but as usual the devil is in the detail. Luckily the engine has been rebuild and is running.

I have restored Alfas in the past and most recently my son and I have completely rebuild a Ford Anglia 100E, so we are ready for this new venture we hope. In my daily life I work for an engineering company specialized in thermal solutions, and I part-time teach thermal and fluid sciences at the Eindhoven university.
alleggerita
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:23 pm

Glad you’ve got a good project for some family fun, sounds like a good one.
Have some fun!
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:03 pm

Hi Jack!
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:21 pm

Welcome Jack! I'm looking forward to seeing your progress!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:02 am

Hello Jack
Welcome to Lotus Elan ownership. The Plus 2 is a wonderful car (that's from a Sprint owner).
Look forward to seeing the final result
Good luck
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Mon Apr 08, 2024 3:02 am

Welcome Jack,
It will be a very rewarding project. My story is somewhat similar actually. I purchased a 71 Plus 2S 130/4 originally in Cirrus White. (August 1971 build serial number 0179N. No silver roof option.) After a two year concentrated effort, my car is assembled and running. You can see it here if you wish. viewtopic.php?f=51&t=53498)

Good luck and post some photos if you get a chance. Congratulations. Reach out if you have any questions.
Cheers
Mike
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alleggerita » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:34 am

Thank you all for the kind words.

I have 0436L, Cirrus White with a silver top, which appears to have spent quite a long time of it s life so far in Scotland. The car has been dismantled starting in 2006, the process has been well documented. The previous owner (who did the dismantling) died 5 years ago. It is not clear what happened between roughly 2008 and 2018. Despite the fact that everything was carefully packed in individual boxes and plastic bags it is still a puzzle to find out what is what.

Attached are a few photos of the pick up, there is not much not add at this stage other than that I am trying to find my way in the puzzle.

One thing that is puzzling me is the Superflex bushes. Do they need to sit tight, or should the ss bushes be tightened only, allowing the polyurethane bushes to turn around the bushes?
Attachments
12.jpg and
plenty of boxes
22.jpg and
In the Eurotunnel
21.jpg and
20.jpg and
Wayne Carini moment
alleggerita
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:36 am

Jack, since the car is a puzzle, I recommend using the parts manual to try to sort-out things. If you don't already have the old factory manual, you can browse it online here: http://rdent.com/manuals/index.html
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mjbeanie » Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:58 am

Jack,

It is great you have experience restoring other cars. I stared at my car for two years, not sure how to begin! Thankfully I ran into a Triumph TR6 guy that helped me break the effort down into manageable priorities and tasks. Fuel Tank and Lines, Hydraulics, Electrical, cooling etc. I've learned two things over the last couple of years restoring the Lotus. Don't be "everywhere on the car". Select a task, learn all you can. Complete it and go onto the next task.

The other thing I learned is not to throw any old parts or any old scraps away, -even if they look useless.
'You may not know what it is, but in the future you will recognize it, and need it, as the car begins to take shape.

As "the veg" says, the Lotus Service Parts List manual is a must, and is the "bible" of car assembly and part number reference. It will help with the big puzzle in front of you. Gotta get that along with the workshop manual. I also enlarged the wiring diagram into a poster size print, 24" x 36" . Very helpful to view it often and in a enlarged print format. I now have it memorized...lol

You're off on a very exciting journey. I had my "last bolt ceremony" yesterday, marking the Plus 2 completion, photo attached. I just took my wife for our first ride in the car today. The Elan Plus 2 is a thrill to drive and there is a tremendous feeling of achievement building one. Good luck my friend!
Cheers
MIke
Attachments
IMG_4214.jpg and
IMG_4238.jpg and
'71 Lotus Elan Plus 2S130 (Type 50/0179)
'70 Opel GT
'67 Sunbeam Alpine
'88 Porsche 924 S
mjbeanie
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: