Prospective +2 newbie in Stuttgart

PostPost by: Stagmatt » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:05 pm

Pleased to meet you here!

I live in Germany, Stuttgart/Mannheim region and have finally come to the decision that now is the time to give in to my hankering after a +2. Have found a promising specimen in France, close to my ideal spec (1969 vintage), to be imported when weather permits.

Now I am researching ways to implant a 5 speed box (motorway use unavoidable). Found good info here and elsewhere in the net and will certainly contact the experts here as soon as the Administrator deems me worthy of this privilige.

As this ist my intro: I am a Mech Eng and have several decades experience of designing and modding all kind of machinery. Past and present projects: several Triumphs (cars), Alvis Special, EFI and engine simulations.

Looking forward to talk to you -

Matthias
Stagmatt
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:59 am

Gruß gott Matthias!

I have good memories of Stuttgart as I lived in Schwäbisch Gmünd many years ago.

You will love the +2! Mine is now entering real operability after seven years of work and it is a real joy to drive! People love it wherever I drive it, it's a really cool car.

I wish you success in finding a good +2 to enjoy!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Peter +2 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:57 am

Welcome Matthias,

We look forward to receiving updates of your quest.

Peter
1968 +2 BRM
Peter +2
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:00 am

Hi Matthias and welcome to the forum

A 5 speed plus 2 would be a joy on the Autobahns :) it is a great highway cruiser and also good for the twisty back roads. My wifes family live just out of Worms so i know the region reasonably well and will be over there the coming summer. i have always wished i could keep my Plus 2 over there rather than driving rental cars:). A 3.55 diff goes well with the 5 speed and that is what i have in my Plus2S 130/5

You have a number of choices apart from the original Lotus 5 speed box which is hard to find and expensive. They have all been discussed on the forum so do a google search -- Lotuselan.net 5 speed--- which works better than the in forum search and you will find lots of posts

3.0 diff ratios have also been done instead of fitting a 5 speed for good highway cruising. A 3.0 diff and 5 speed with a well tuned 170 hp 1700cc engine would be even better but i dont think anyone has ever done that yet !!!

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:22 pm

Stagmatt wrote:Pleased to meet you here!
<Snip>
Now I am researching ways to implant a 5 speed box (motorway use unavoidable). Found good info here and elsewhere in the net and will certainly contact the experts here as soon as the Administrator deems me worthy of this privilige.

Matthias

Matthias, Welcome aboard !

I would very much recommend Alan Voigts 5 speed Ford T9 conversion, with the 2.98 1st gear. I have a 3.77 diff.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stagmatt » Fri Jan 06, 2023 4:41 pm

Many thanks for a warm and encouraging Welcome!
Re. the box: I should add that I have done gearbox mods before. I have secured a good T9 which I will convert and look forward to that. First thing now ist to get the car from mediterranian France to Germany and just drive and get to know her.
But this thread ist not for gearbox conversions so I stop by inviting those in my region to drop me a PM and drop in. Nevertheless any good advice ist welcome and I will now move to the appropriate thread.

Matthias
Stagmatt
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:47 pm

Stagmatt wrote:Many thanks for a warm and encouraging Welcome!
Re. the box: I should add that I have done gearbox mods before. I have secured a good T9 which I will convert and look forward to that.
Matthias

I still think you might save yourself a considerable amount of bother by checking out Alan Voigts' conversion.

It's been developed over 20 years, with new bell & tailhousing castings and concentric clutch.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alaric » Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:18 pm

Agreed re the Voigts. I fitted a Voigts T9 conversion to my previous +2. A lovely old fellow and a good conversion. I'm considering it for my current car.

Regards.

Sean.
alaric
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:00 am

Voigts haven't been able to supply their T9 conversion for some time now. No tailshaft casings.
I have had one on order since last September and they tell me that they have orders going back to March 2022 that they cannot fulfill until the tailcase situation is resolved.

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: