Return to my first love - Australia

PostPost by: Peter Svensson » Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:49 am

G'day from Australia,
I too have just returned to an earlier love, a 1967 Elan Series III SE roadster whom I first met in 1992 while undergoing a restoration/improvement by another Lotus friend Guy. We (Guy, the Elan and me) did the great Australian event Targa Tasmania in the car in 1993, but that's another story.
Guy sold the car in 1996 but I maintained a loose connection with the purchaser over the succeeding 25 years and, last month, by using a combination of crowbar and rectangular money, managed to prise it from his grip and now have exclusive custody of it. Over the last couple of decades the Elan has been much modified to become a Targa Tasmania weapon which entailed major work which has rendered it barely road suitable due to fierce square cut dog gearbox and racing "button" clutch amongst other changes. Visually the car is now characterised by having Lotus Type 26R headlights under transparent covers in lieu of the retractable items, which I reckon is a good look.
I'm now embarked on two fronts: (1) an engine-our refresh with a view for some club competition driving in 2023 and (2) trying to discover it's pre-1992 history.
So far the only information about the car's history I've been able to gather is that it left the factory as a kit. The factory plate in the engine bay has been somewhat obscured by time and only reveals Unit Number 7364, Engine Number 8605 LAA and Chassis Number 457364 (a best guess as this is particularly difficult to decipher). As expected, the car has been resprayed several times but has always been British Racing Green. The body is unusual, having what appears to be original (i.e. factory or as new in 1967) well-integrated modest front wheel arch flares and the rear wheel arches are notable for well-resolved curved extensions commencing from the door's trailing edges to the rear transverse panel, very much like a late Type 26R. The latter now cover 7 x 13 inch rims and the front are 6 x 13 inch items.
Should anyone be able to provide any information about this particular car or comment on the rarely-seen "wide body" styling, I'd be most grateful.
Cheers from Peter.
Peter Svensson
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Fri Dec 23, 2022 12:43 am

Welcome Peter! Show us some pictures.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:26 am

Hi Peter

I presume this is Particks car you bought. He called me the other day for some engine advice for a new Elan he is building up. Unfortunately I dont know about the early history of the car. I looked through some old photos I have from back in the 80's of lotus national meetings but I have none of a BRG S3. It would be worthwhile contacting Club Lotus Australia as they may have some early information on previous owners from back then. Also The Queensland Lotus club has members from those days still and assuming its been a Queensland car for most of its life they may know of it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:50 am

Hi Peter
PM me, years ago I was CLA Elan registrar, Marc Schagen now manages the register and is a font of Lotus knowledge having written a book on Lotus cars that have competed in Australia.
I’ll get be you Marc’s mobile he will be thrilled to connect and update the records. He will share a copy of its history with you.
I know Patrick and the car well through the club and as fellow Targa competitor. It’s a very quick car
What form of motorsport are you thinking of?
Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Peter Svensson » Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:45 am

vstibbard wrote:Hi Peter
PM me, years ago I was CLA Elan registrar, Marc Schagen now manages the register and is a font of Lotus knowledge having written a book on Lotus cars that have competed in Australia.
I’ll get be you Marc’s mobile he will be thrilled to connect and update the records. He will share a copy of its history with you.
I know Patrick and the car well through the club and as fellow Targa competitor. It’s a very quick car
What form of motorsport are you thinking of?
Cheers
Vaughan

Thanks Vaughan, I'd very much appreciate being able to contact Marc Schagen so look forward to having his mobile number.
I've just joined Lotus Club Queensland and, subject to having the Elan refreshed in time, intend to bring it to the Morgan Park sprint series B next year. I'm also looking at one or two GEAR events at Lakeside, a favourite circuit of mine since 1964.
Yes, Patrick has certainly made the car very quick so, it's now a matter of getting myself up to speed to do justice to the Elan!
Peter
Peter Svensson
New-tral

PostPost by: Peter Svensson » Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:24 am

rgh0 wrote:Hi Peter

I presume this is Particks car you bought. He called me the other day for some engine advice for a new Elan he is building up. Unfortunately I dont know about the early history of the car. I looked through some old photos I have from back in the 80's of lotus national meetings but I have none of a BRG S3. It would be worthwhile contacting Club Lotus Australia as they may have some early information on previous owners from back then. Also The Queensland Lotus club has members from those days still and assuming its been a Queensland car for most of its life they may know of it.

cheers
Rohan

Thanks Rohan,
I'll follow up on your suggestions, especially as I've just become a member of the Q Lotus Club.
Season's Greetings from Peter.
Peter Svensson
New-tral

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:22 am

Hi Peter
The year days are awesome, loads of like minded cars and you can wear a set of tyres out if you choose to!
I bought my 26R up to Lakeside after its restoration to reunite it with Bill Gates and Jim Bertram who bought and raced it from new in QLD. Love the track.
Cheers
Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Peter Svensson » Sun Jan 15, 2023 5:59 am

Lotus front 1.jpg and
Before Christmas, I received a couple of replies concerning my recent aquisition of the ex-Patrick Mewing 1967 Elan Series 3, one reply sought photos, so here you are. Any advice on history of the car (Unit Number 7364) prior to 1991 would be most welcome.
Thanks, Peter
Peter Svensson
New-tral

PostPost by: Peter Svensson » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:13 am

G'day to the Elan mob,
Here is a pic of my 1967 Series 3 roadster with the unusual "wide-body" rear. If anyone could shed some light on the history of this car (Unit number 7364)
prior to 1991, I'd be most grateful.
Peter
Attachments
Lotus rear 2.jpg and
Peter Svensson
New-tral

PostPost by: mazlot » Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:18 pm

If memory serves Guy Beddington owned it at one point, not sure exactly when.
mazlot
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: