Re-introduction from BC, Canada

PostPost by: Brock » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:19 am

** This post has been edited (more like re-written entirely) from my original reply (a couple of days later).

I originally went on about the modifications required to fit this 4AGE engine in the car -- with the original gearbox. I misremembered the whole thing and I wrote some incorrect info.

I haven't been under the car since 2013. I must have been thinking about a different car because I thought there was an adapter plate between the engine and the Lotus bellhousing.... Today, I didn't see one from the top, so that means the adapter plate is between Toyota bellhousing and the Lotus gearbox -- but I didn't get under the car today.

I will write up a post with photos when I can get under there on the weekend. I have had the engine out, but I can't remember the details. I'm thinking it uses a Toyota pressure plate and clutch cover with a Lotus friction disc; the Lotus and Toyota use the same diameter disc....

There's a chance I'll have to edit this again. What I do know is that the swap required no real engineering beyond a simple adapter plate.
Last edited by Brock on Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:20 am

I have both here on my shop floor. 4AGE, Toyota bell and box.
Can take some measurements tomorrow, but they are not split.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:20 am

Your fast Brock!
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:16 am

Hi Brock-congratulations on an interesting car and don't forget to join the local Lotus Club. We need more Elans! They advertise regularly in Craigs List so you can find them. The club newsletter was recently voted the top car club newsletter in N.America from what I understand. Regular drives and meetings.
With a track day up your way planned for late Spring.

Club email is: [email protected]"
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Brock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:42 am

Four posts back in this thread is my answer to questions about fitting the 4AGE to the car... I re-wrote the entire post as I was totally incorrect. If you're interested, go back and read the new version.

Sheepishly...
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Brock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:01 am

Davidb wrote:Hi Brock-congratulations on an interesting car and don't forget to join the local Lotus Club. We need more Elans! They advertise regularly in Craigs List so you can find them. The club newsletter was recently voted the top car club newsletter in N.America from what I understand. Regular drives and meetings.
With a track day up your way planned for late Spring.

Club email is: [email protected]" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank"

Thanks for the encouragement David. I'll join up. (As an aside, your posts have been inspiring -- especially your car's 26R headlight conversion.... Maybe next winter).

I presume the track day is at Area 27... I'm sure they wouldn't let me on their go-cart track instead. Anyone unfamiliar with the track, picture a brand new, 3-mile road-racing course in the BC Interior -- built for the fastest modern cars.... and many hit near their top speed on the back stretch. It's a sight to behold. I can hear redlining Ferraris and Radicals and such from my garden.
Attachments
Area27.jpg and
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Feb 09, 2022 5:38 am

Unfortunately not 27, the insurance etc are beyond LCCBC.
I have a friend who works there, so Ive got my helmet and HANS if the opportunity arrises. I am pretty sure, on the 27 web site they say HANS is required.
I think LCCBC uses Mission, and a OK run every few years. I always figure, go for the good roads, which are in-between Lumby and here, also Kamloops and Whistler. Here is so much better than anywhere else, IMHO

IMG_6157.jpeg and
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Brock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 6:19 am

Oh good. I'm relieved. That track is entirely too serious. I much prefer our two-lane roads.
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Brock » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:35 am

Wait a minute H20hamelan...

What are your car's details? My dad's original Elan was that colour or close. It was stored in a basement on Quebec St. in Vancouver for a long, long time (guessing up to maybe '95) Was the nose of that car destroyed and the million pieces put back together? It was hit by a Plymouth in 1967 and he had it painted that metallic blue -- and I think the bumpers too.... Can't be.
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:55 pm

Ah, bought from original owner in Whistler BC.
A drug runner, supplied coke to Gretzky from Whistler.
My dear fathers Élan was sold near 1991. A yellow 67 FHC.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:00 pm

Maybe great minds think alike, colours that is. Mine is from Eastwood, as their paint is good and cheap.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:23 pm

Brock,, Sorry about that! Memory is not great... It is Vancouver Island where the LCCBC event is taking place and also Mission on June 10th where I have entered.
I am interested to hear your opinion of the Area 27 track.
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Brock » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:46 am

Davidb wrote:Brock,, Sorry about that! Memory is not great... It is Vancouver Island where the LCCBC event is taking place and also Mission on June 10th where I have entered.
I am interested to hear your opinion of the Area 27 track.

I have only spectator experience; it looks to be very serious -- and very cool. If you visit this way, I'll take you around the end of the back straight. The track is great for this little town (pop. 3500) -- or at least great for the Chevron -- where they sell Supreme 94.
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Davidb » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:48 am

We all miss Westwood of course-is this new track similar do you know?
'65 S2 4844
Davidb
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Brock » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:11 am

Ah Westwood! Too bad about that. I used to go to vintage races there with my dad -- back when relatively normal people had amazing cars.... Like a Testarossa and a Carrera Zagato!

I think Area 27 is way faster and way bigger -- It was designed by Jacques Villeneuve. There are many places to pass, so mismatched cars can easily share it. I see that 911 GT3s hit about 145mph on the back stretch. The place is totally private though -- like a yacht club. There is an excellent go-cart track for the public (but spendy).
1964 Elan 1600 #3370
Brock
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: