NEW MEMBER - OLD ELAN ;-)

PostPost by: samplomp » Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:22 pm

Hello Lotus Elan dot Net,

Short intro of a new member & his old Elan.

I am Dutch, but living in the South-East of Spain (El Albir), mainly because of the lousy weather in the Netherlands. :)

After a long search and investigation for buying a classic sportscar I finally decided for an Elan.

I found this Elan thru Mobile.de in Stuttgart/Germany.

This Elan was in a collection and wasn't used. I bought the car "in the blind", may sound tricky but I've bought more cars from eBay and other sites just out of the blind... Some you loose, some you gain ! :)

I had the car transported from Germany to the Netherlands in order to get a Dutch license. When in the Netherlands, the engine ran lousy, I had the Webers cleaned and tuned by Van der Kooi Sportscars, the Dutch importer of Lotus. After having granted the Dutch license, without remarks, I then had it transported to Spain. Why not on a Spanish license: The waiting time for a Spanish historic license goes up to three (...) years. And furthermore: As the Elan is more than fifty years old it's in the Netherlands: a) Excempt for road tax (that's in fact after 40 years) and excempt for MOT (Dutch: APK). Only Dutch insurance is mandatory.

The Elan states, out of German papers: July 1, 1967 as the first registration in Germany, Series 3, FHC, chassis number: 36/7436. From new delivered to Germany (extra chassis plate in German...). Note: The chassis number registration from other sites reads a built date of 04-12-1967... typical Lotus ? :) .

In 2017 restored. Chassis, body, engine, etc. The engine got +.040" pistons from Burton Power, Essex, UK.
A performance diagram shows 115 bhp @ 6250 rpm and 132 Nm @ 5400 rpm.

I don't know the original color but the car has been re-sprayed in the darkest version of BRG.

The car is in good shape, but several things I wanted to change, read: improve, right away. :)
From SJSportscars I ordered
LOTUS ELAN LINKSVOOR.jpg and
Lotus Elan, left front
: Lotus letters for tailgate, letter set for dash, some badges, three eared spinners, choke cable, heater control cable and front grille. These parts were vanished or not original.

I enclose a picture of the car as advertised.

Think I will change the color of the bumpers from "gold" to "silver", thus more in line with the other silver/chrome accents of the car.

That's it (for now :) ),

Sam.
Attachments
LOTUS ELAN LINKSVOOR.jpg and
Regards,
Sam.

Elan FHC S3 1967
Honda CB350F 1974
samplomp
New-tral

PostPost by: Lotusian » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:43 pm

Hello Sam
That’s excellent, but we need to see more photos please.
Also, when you are correctly painting the bumpers silver, you might also paint the wheels silver as original.
Ian
Lotusian
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: samplomp » Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:55 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks !

Some more pics enclosed.

Wheels silver is a bright idea, didn't think about it !

Brgds, Sam.
Attachments
LOTUS ELAN RECHTSACHTER.jpg and
LOTUS ELAN MOTORRUIMTE RECHTS.jpg and
LOTUS ELAN DASHBOARD STUURZIJDE.jpg and
LOTUS ELAN DASHBOARD DETAIL.jpg and
LOTUS ELAN LINKS ACHTER.jpg and
LOTUS ELAN LINKER ZIJKANT.jpg and
Regards,
Sam.

Elan FHC S3 1967
Honda CB350F 1974
samplomp
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:47 am

Welcome Sam!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:22 am

Welcome. Nice looking car :-)
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Sun Jan 23, 2022 1:47 pm

Welcome! Looks great, though I agree with you with silver bumpers it will look even better!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 5:00 pm

Welcome
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: samplomp » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:55 pm

theVeg (cool licence plate :) ),

Mazzini,

SENC,

&

cliveyboy.

Regards,

Sam.
Regards,
Sam.

Elan FHC S3 1967
Honda CB350F 1974
samplomp
New-tral

PostPost by: phil1800 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:22 pm

Welcome Sam,

Nice Coupe! ‚German‘ Elan‘s are very rare as they were very expensive, compared to other countries. Do you know where your Elan was sold and do you have some history on it?

Philipp
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: samplomp » Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:17 am

phil1800 wrote:Welcome Sam,

Nice Coupe! ‚German‘ Elan‘s are very rare as they were very expensive, compared to other countries. Do you know where your Elan was sold and do you have some history on it?

Philipp

Hi Philipp,

Thank you !

The Elan was first registered in Germany on July 1, 1967.

Unfortunately the history which came with the car just goes back to 2002. At that time she was in Südergellersen, in 2012 in Rheinbach, in 2019 in Stuttgart. I imported her from Stuttgart into the Netherlands, after that transported to Spain where she is now.

I contacted Andy Graham of Lotus Archives wether he could find out more out of the ancient factory data. Well.... nothing ! In fact he could add to his files, that the car went to Germany immediately after production.

Strange thing is that it was not a factory export, but done by a private person.
So lots of unknown things, mysteries ! That's got charm too ... :wink:

Best regards,

Sam.
Last edited by samplomp on Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Sam.

Elan FHC S3 1967
Honda CB350F 1974
samplomp
New-tral

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:01 am

just a thought,
Back in the sixties, I seem to remember, British armed forces were billeted long term in Germany and would buy a car over here and export it saving a considerable amount on taxes. Maybe it was one of those.
It was considered a soft posting apparently.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: phil1800 » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:20 am

Eric,
That came to my mind as well. If it was a Brit, he was rather stationed in the northern part of Germany, but then wouldn‘t he have bought a RHD version? Also, the diplomatic and military sales program were also offered by the local dealerships, so why would somebody go this way, when he could have the tax benefits also thru a dealership sale.
It would be very interesting to find out more about the first owner. In the German registration documents you find the previous owners, so are there copies?

Philipp
phil1800
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Mon Mar 21, 2022 2:16 pm

Philipp,
Obviously I have no detail knowledge of the system but I seem to remember that it was organised for soldiers going abroad ( possibly by the NAAFI)
I can only assume that he would take a LHD car and sell it there before he returned. There was maybe some profit in it if the same car was so expensive in Germany.
I was deferred from National Service while doing Higher National exams after which `call up` was suspended so It is only a faint memory with no solid information.
Eric
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: