New member but an old Elan + 2 S130/5 owner

PostPost by: Steve Plus 2 » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:42 am

Bought my first Lotus in 1975 - The is was a secondhand Elan + 2 S130/5 and I still have it.

The first owner was JCL Marine (Colin Chapman's boat-building business) and the old green logbook has Colin Chapman's signature.

I subsequently owned, from new, a Lotus Eclat (1979) and then a Lotus Excel (1984) but both have long gone. However, I have kept the +2 and I am about to restore it to get it back on the road. My son caught the Lotus bug and bought an Exige and then an Evora. No doubt I will be calling on all of the forum's members, to get advice during the restoration of the +2.
Steve Plus 2
New-tral

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:59 pm

Welcone Steve and what a historic car and logbook!

How long has it been off the road and did you preserve it first? Toughen up your left leg, you'll need it to operate the clutch; I had one for four years and it was fantastic to drive, but you know that.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:51 am

Welcome Steve!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sat Aug 21, 2021 4:39 am

Welcome!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Sat Aug 21, 2021 8:05 pm

Wow. What a brilliant car to own. I guess you’re going to restore back to how Colin had it. A real collectors item.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Steve Plus 2 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 9:37 pm

Yes, I would like to restore it to "as new" condition as possible. Unfortunately, although it has been stored in a dry and warm garage all these years (34 years), I did not really prepare it for storage. It was always going to be driven "next week"! I guess there will be piston ring issues and lots of perished rubber. To be truthful, it is only a house move that has finally made me move all the boxes in front of it and re-sparked my enthusiasm to get the project back going. The tyres that have done less than 1000 miles look extremely sad.

The history of the car of course makes it special but I just want to get it going again. I recall having the "Lotacone" rear upper suspension mounts failing (the rubber to metal bonding parting company). At the time there was a shortage of these as spare parts and the original manufacturer (Metlastic in Leicester) would only make more if the batch quantity was sufficient. I hope that time hasn't made these fail again!

I think I have an interesting time ahead.

Steve
Steve Plus 2
New-tral

Total Online: