Hi New here!!!!

PostPost by: DaveClarky » Fri May 14, 2021 1:26 pm

Hi Everyone,

I would like to build a Lotus Elan = 2 from scratch using original parts of course, no matter how long it takes!

Can somebody help me out with some info?

If I buy just a body shell and another chassis that doesn't match info wise ,obviously, what do I do re the chassis number on the chassis? (Assuming and checking the car has long gone) Can I get a new number for that old chassis? And How?

Obviously I will add an engine gearbox later on.
I do like to save old cars so it would be magic to save the shell, chassis and original parts to be fitted, giving them life again.
Any help much appreciated,
Regards,
Dave.
DaveClarky
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Sat May 15, 2021 12:29 am

Welcome Dave!

Not being in the UK I can't answer your queries but the project sounds interesting! Put another Plus 2 back on the road!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Sat May 15, 2021 6:33 am

Hi Dave,

Strictly speaking you need to obtain an identity first. They do occasionally come up on auction sites. To get Lotus factory validation you’ll need to have the full VIN plate if possible, certainly the Unit No, the registration mark and supporting papers, like a V5.

Currently you will not be able to use a ‘new’ Unit No as Lotus policy is not to issue them, or to re-issue old numbers.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Sat May 15, 2021 6:40 am

Welcome..

You must be mad , but if you can get a body shell the number of that will get you a registration , or at least get you started with registration..

Look forward to your posts...

John ;-)
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat May 15, 2021 8:44 am

Dave,

Having rebuilt a Sprint from total burn out let me tell you it’s just not worth it (took me about 7 years). The time you spend sourcing and paying for individual parts is ridiculous. You’re best bet is to keep an eye out for a car that has either been damaged or needs restoration. That way you’ll have an identity that hasn’t been created and gives the car some provenance right from the start. You can replace the subframe if it’s shot or possibly refurbish it. The shell will be recoverable and can be repaired and painted. Engine box etc can be rebuilt, interior dash etc can all be done at your own pace.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: DaveClarky » Sat May 15, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi Everyone,
Food for thought really!

Seems doing it the way i planned is going to be a headache!
Think I'll wait and save hard guys! Buy a reasonable one in 2022!
Thanks a mill everyone that replied 8)
DaveClarky
New-tral

PostPost by: johnmat » Mon May 31, 2021 7:10 am

Hi, guys, I'm new here. I'm looking suppliers of used engines. Any recommendations to cooperate? https://orbimotors.com/
johnmat
New-tral

PostPost by: HCA » Mon May 31, 2021 8:10 am

DaveClarky wrote:Hi Everyone,
Food for thought really!

Seems doing it the way i planned is going to be a headache!
Think I'll wait and save hard guys! Buy a reasonable one in 2022!
Thanks a mill everyone that replied 8)

mmm. I beg to disagree! The headache will be proportional to how much you want to spend I think. I wish I follwed this route now!

As John Clegg says, find a body with a number and chances are you can work towards registration. (I do not know what a body will cost) With registration, then it is just a matter of adding the components! A complete rolling chassis with basic wheels and tyres iiro £9k, depending on body condition, a paint job another, say, £7k, building an engine/gearbox with new components maybe £20k - less with used components (check out twin cam engines on ebay), and then the ancilliaries.

If you are keen to make a diy +2, give Spydercars a call. They might have a body with registration they would sell, and they will be the ones selling you a rolling chassis and might do a good deal.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: