Hello from France (Dordogne)

PostPost by: seb.ves » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:39 am

Hi all,
My name is Sébastien, I'm 37 years old and I live in South West of France (Dordogne and Pyrenées).
I'm passionate about the sports car of the 60's and 70's (and English motorcycle).
I've got a Lotus Exige Sprint, an Alpine A310 1600, BMW 2002 tii and few british bikes.
I have always loved the Lotus Elan. I had the opportunity to drive a friend's baby sprint 72 a few years ago. Driving experience confirmed my love! Very different from an Alpine A110 but the same driving pleasure with the british touch!
Today, my restorations projects have advanced and I would like to buy an Elan +2 in the futur.
Regrettably, the baby is really too small for my high size. I think, I'm better off sitting in a +2.
I hope to learn and share on this forum.
seb.ves
New-tral

PostPost by: 661 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:28 pm

Bonjour!
Are we allowed to talk via email to the French or has Macron banned that as well?
If you are over 193 ( 6'4") cm it might be tight in the 2 seater , although Vaughan on here is some sort of a tall freak and he fits.
I think the issue is the pedal box. You need to use driving shoes.
I hope you find what you are looking for
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elated » Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:33 pm

+2 is a good choice
Bon chance
Fortunately your English is good - you will do well to follow this forum which is well-conducted and very informative.
Cdt,
Gordon
elated
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Tue Dec 22, 2020 3:15 am

Welcome Sébastien!
I am about 193cm and the Plus 2 is a good fit with plenty of legroom. Excellent car to drive!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:35 am

Bienvenue!
J'habite au sud de vous avec un +2. Si vous jamais etes pres de Carcassonne, dites-moi et vous pourrez visiter pour une causette...et une verre de rouge!

(mais seulement si vous conduire dans le Alpine... 8) )
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:45 am

Welcome Seb,
you say you have driven a Sprint but have you driven a +2 Elan also.
They are different to drive with the Sprint at 700kgs and the +2 Elan at 900kgs.
I had for about 8 years both that's to say one of each. I sold the +2 Elan in the end because i prefer the Sprint driving.
For you with a small child i like the +2 Elan will be better than an Elan.
If you contact Club Lotus France you maybe able to find someone in your region with a +2 Elan to try.
bon chance
amicalement
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seb.ves » Tue Dec 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Thank you for your welcome!
Effectively 661, the big problel is the pedalbox. I wear a size 11 (french size 45) and the drive shoes are compulsory for me. Some members have they modified the pedalbox for more space? 1 cm right, 1 cm left can sometimes changing the driver's life.
The Veg, you confirm my thoughts. I went to paul matty last year (before the covid, when I went to england regularly!) but I didn't dare to sit in a +2. He is very nice. I've been very well received.
Thank you for your invitation HCA. My wife has her family from Carcassonne. :wink:
Alan, I can't drive an Elan +2. The +2 is very rar in France. I've been in th Club Lotus de France but only 2 members had old Lotus (2 Elan). Tony is member of this forum.
I haven't small child, baby was the term used for the Elan. Excuse me for my english mistakes. I like the english language but it's difficult for me. :oops:
I think the Elan is very different from the +2. Elan is more sporty. I love the S1 type 26, her lightness and her pure design but for me, it's too small. When I drive the Elan Sprint, my hair was on the windscreen (with the original seat, I don't know if the seat touches the body or if the adjustement system is large). The +2 hasn't got the same energy but for me, I think, it will difficult to drive an Elan in good condition :(
seb.ves
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:22 pm

We organised a W/E in Charent Maritime 10 years ago with +2 Elans and there were about 10 +2 Elans.
Ask Serge Club Lotus France.
It was near Rochefort.
I have also TVR Cars very interresting with V6 Engine.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: seb.ves » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:19 pm

alan.barker wrote:We organised a W/E in Charent Maritime 10 years ago with +2 Elans and there were about 10 +2 Elans.
Ask Serge Club Lotus France.
It was near Rochefort.
I have also TVR Cars very interresting with V6 Engine.
Alan

I joined the club afterwards. Behind 2011 and 2015. Fabien Ivernel then Stéphane Lebeau were président. In this time, Tony Parfitt was only member with old Lotus in Centre Atlantique. Where do you live, Alan?
seb.ves
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:57 pm

Hi,
Tony has a yellow Elan and he was with us.
I live now in Plouhinec 56680, Morbihan.
Amicalement
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:48 pm

seb.ves wrote:Thank you for your welcome!
Effectively 661, the big problel is the pedalbox. I wear a size 11 (french size 45) and the drive shoes are compulsory for me. Some members have they modified the pedalbox for more space? 1 cm right, 1 cm left can sometimes changing the driver's life.
The Veg, you confirm my thoughts. I went to paul matty last year (before the covid, when I went to england regularly!) but I didn't dare to sit in a +2. He is very nice. I've been very well received.
Thank you for your invitation HCA. My wife has her family from Carcassonne. :wink:
Alan, I can't drive an Elan +2. The +2 is very rar in France. I've been in th Club Lotus de France but only 2 members had old Lotus (2 Elan). Tony is member of this forum.
I haven't small child, baby was the term used for the Elan. Excuse me for my english mistakes. I like the english language but it's difficult for me. :oops:
I think the Elan is very different from the +2. Elan is more sporty. I love the S1 type 26, her lightness and her pure design but for me, it's too small. When I drive the Elan Sprint, my hair was on the windscreen (with the original seat, I don't know if the seat touches the body or if the adjustement system is large). The +2 hasn't got the same energy but for me, I think, it will difficult to drive an Elan in good condition :(

My feet are 44 French size. With running shoes on its dangerous. With driving shoes it feels like it was designed for me
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:33 am

Sebastien,

As Graeme pointed out I'm just under 6'5" and fit comfortably in a "baby" Elan. Elans have two mounting points for the seat legs, this is the secret, simply move the front seat leg to the rear channel, this is accomplished by undoing the two seat clamps and moving it back ~ 2", this provides significantly more room and makes for a very comfortable modern driving position.

In the past I use my S4SE DHC to drive a couple of times a years from SE London taking the ferry to Calais and then down east of Le Mans following parts of N1 through to La Cote Del La Lande near Moissac, we typically left London aiming for a 4am ferry, easily arriving at the families farmhouse around 8pm having enjoyed an amazing day roof down on empty picturesque roads with little traffic which allowed us to make the most of the Elan's roadholding and acceleration, we seldom got held up for more than a few minutes with traffic, when I've been back since I often seek out the route we used as it is quite memorable following treelined ridge roads that were part of Napoleons N1 route from memory, id; love to be there right now COVID asides!!

Thanks for allowing me to reflect on many happy memories touring France.

Wishing you all a COVID free and Merry Christmas from down under.

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steve.thomas » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:01 pm

Bonjour Sebastien,
I live in the Gironde, close to the border with Dordogne and Lot et Garrone near Monsegur. I have a late Plus 2 that you are very welcome to try for size. I’m 6 foot, and there is plenty more adjustment. I actually think the Plus 2 would be an issue for someone with short legs unless you don’t mind the steering wheel right in your lap!
Regards
Steve
steve.thomas
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: seb.ves » Wed Dec 23, 2020 10:22 pm

Vstibbard, I didn't know that Elans have two mounting points for the seat legs. It's very interesting for me. My friend with her Elan is under 5'7. His seat was probably in the bad mounting points.
Steve, thank you for your proposition. I live 50km from your home and I' m the same size as you (but I'm probably more large). I would be happy to sit in your +2. I would be rassure to search a car.
seb.ves
New-tral

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:11 am

On the +2S the rake of the Seat can be adjusted which pushes the Wheel away. Putting you in a more laying back position.
On the Elan the horizontal Seat Frame tube runs across the Flour. This is held in position by two Clamps with two humps for the Tube. Giving two clamping positions.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: