Hello

PostPost by: JDL » Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:03 pm

The Veg wrote:Welcome JDL!

This is definitely one of the very best online communities around. I'm extremely grateful for all the shared knowledge and support I've found here.

Thank you for your welcome. Yes, I am quite impressed with the scope of the technical and historical knowledge available through the group, coupled with the generous support afforded by its members. I don't join many groups of this type, but this one seems like the members, many of them exceedingly knowledgeable, hold themselves to a very high standard of friendly decorum.
JDL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:01 pm

Hi JDL,

Sorry, you’re right. It is a drop head. All the best.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:14 pm

nice to have you here. i lived (1st) in seattle and later on mercer island - my mother was close to weyerhausers: me less! sandy ps --- i was still a kid, but i watched (from where we lived) all of the hydroplane races AND the testing of new BOEING engines ON hydroplanes........................ ON puget sound @ 200mph?????? lovely memories ......................i dont think they do that any more?
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:26 am

JDL wrote:

I suppose I'm most interested in understanding your thoughts about the various versions of an Elan (I'd want an open LHD car versus a coupe). Ultimately my interest would be in a very nice driver. Two paths...I could either achieve that end by purchasing an "all fixed up" car or embark on the full restoration myself. I'm open to either route.

I personally dont think it makes much difference which version of an open Elan you start with. The only real difference is the S1 and S2 were true convertibles with no side window frames where as the S3 and S4 where DHC with the window frames the same as the Fixed head. S1 and S2 prices especially in the UK and especially for rebuild cases are higher as they can be turned into 26R replicas and used as historic race cars

The advantage of restoring a car is you can build it to the specification you want and you know exactly what has been done to it during the rebuild, the disadvantage is that restoring a car will usually cost you more than you can buy an equivalent car for.

The best value for money approach I believe would be to look for a regularly used but not pristine car that you know the history of and know can be driven and you will not be afraid to take it out and use it.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JDL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:24 am

I'm back, now as an "honest" member.... I recently took delivery of 232K, a nicely restored Pistachio over Cirrus '72 Sprint Drophead Coupe. I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's a delight to drive. I'm sure over time I'll have a great many questions as I get to know the car better, but for the time being I'm loving it.
JDL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:38 am

Congratulations! All the best with your Sprint.
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JDL » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:44 pm

Thank you Pete!
JDL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Sploder90 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:51 am

JDL wrote:I'm back, now as an "honest" member.... I recently took delivery of 232K, a nicely restored Pistachio over Cirrus '72 Sprint Drophead Coupe. I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's a delight to drive. I'm sure over time I'll have a great many questions as I get to know the car better, but for the time being I'm loving it.

Welcome to the club and good to hear your enjoying it.
I love that colour combination on an Elan.
Sploder90
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JDL » Sat Sep 05, 2020 3:26 pm

Thanks Sploder, it is my favorite color combination on the Elan as well.
JDL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:54 am

You have to post some photos now, it’s the law!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JDL » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:15 pm

Well, I certainly want to abide by the law. But I tried and I don't seem to know how; my efforts failed. Can someone advise me or point me to an "instructional" thread? Thanks.
JDL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JDL » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:17 pm

JDL wrote:Well, I certainly want to abide by the law. But I tried and I don't seem to know how; my efforts failed. Can someone advise me or point me to an "instructional" thread? Thanks.

Never mind. I just found it. Will re-attempt to post a picture shortly.
JDL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JDL » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Per the suggestion I post a photo of my (new to me) Elan, here's a snapshot taken by the previous owner...
Attachments
znouMUCw.jpeg and
JDL
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: JDL » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:45 pm

I'll try for two more...
Attachments
sKY55TEw.jpeg and
O9_mdW5w.jpeg and
JDL
First Gear