Aussie invasion!

PostPost by: Karter7 » Sat Dec 28, 2013 11:38 pm

Hi guys,
I have been viewing this site for a while now and loved Elan's forever. I thought I would introduce myself.
While I don't have an Elan yet, I'm working on it!
I have a "small fleet" of cars which include:
1990 PRB clubman (Australian built lotus 7 copy, origanally owned and built by a Elan forum's members brother!)
1985 Elfin formula Vee (raced in historic meetings here)
1968 Lotus 51 FF (recently purchased and yet to race)
1994 mx-5 (owned by myself for the past 15 years. Won't mention mx-5 here again!)

I have read a lot about Elan's but have never driven one!

Trying to gather as much info as I can before jumping in. It will be a DHC though.

Has anyone here gone Seven to an Elan? Your views please?

Regards Daniel
Currently driving!
1994 MX-5
1990 PRB (Lotus 7 replica)
1985 Elfin Fvee
1968 Lotus 51 FF
1963 Alfa Spider 101 series
1963 Elan S1
Karter7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Karter7 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:50 am

I forgot to add, I live in Sydney, Australia.
Regards Daniel
Currently driving!
1994 MX-5
1985 Elfin Fvee
1968 Lotus 51 FF
1963 Elan S1
Karter7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: timax » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:12 am

Fancy seeing you here!
You and i need to have a coffee soon!

Funny you ask about the 7 to Elan move. Thats exactly what im wondering about. Im scared the Elan will be a little soft for me. While i know the Elan would be better in so many ways , will it give me that thrill i still get in the 7.
One of the guys on the USA7's forum went the other way and sold his S3 Elan to buy a Caterham. I have asked him for his thoughts but havnt heard back as yet.

Tim PRB102
timax
New-tral

PostPost by: rgh0 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:38 am

Hi Daniel and Tim
Don't worry if you really want to you, can make an Elan as uncomfortable as a Lotus 7 / PRB :lol:

It will cost a little more to make it as fast in absolute terms but in real world usable performance on the road in Australia it is just as quick

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:23 am

I am a long time 7 owner, driver and competitor, I have also owned a basket case Elan all that time, its still waiting for me to restore it.

I have only driven the Elan twice, once clandestinely one summer evening and another time during a general fun day slalom event in a field.

Both times I remarked how similar the driving position and suspension dynamics were, apart from the lack of wind in the face and discomfort, close your eyes and you would think you were driving a 7.

Due to a change of life I havnt driven the 7 in close to a decade, I think I have moved on in that time, I cannot imagine being able to drive it anywhere in the hooligan way I used to and still retain my license, it will be sad to part with it but I am quite looking forward to graduating to an Elan.

In my early days on the track well driven Elans ran rings round me, even now a well prepared Elan would not need much more power than a 7 to equal its times.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jimj » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:11 am

"Seven to an Elan"?.....not quite chalk to cheese but definitely quite different and it depends how you define fun. If fun = enjoyment I reckon an Elan is more fun more of the time. I`ve had 6 Westfields over the years, 2 of which were V8s, which were hilarious, but, on the road, only for short trips. I had the last Westfield at the same time as we had the Elan but only really used it for track days and if there was any distance involved, we trailered it there and back, which says it all really.
I keep hankering after an early proper Lotus 7 but the prices are just too high now.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

2008_0101toolsdoor0007.JPG and
yes i have a 7 and an elane and raced vees fo r30 years 1972 Mosport kelly VEE
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:09 pm

The attachment 2008_0101toolsdoor0007.JPG is no longer available
yes i have a 7 and an elane and raced vees fo r30 years 1972 mosport ..Kelly vee
Attachments
P1010027.JPG and
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:13 pm

DSC02941-1.jpg
DSC02941-1.jpg (70.12 KiB) Viewed 1375 times

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:14 pm

The attachment 2008_0101toolsdoor0007.JPG is no longer available
----2001 BRD VEE
Attachments
5328_1193418908440_6166013_n.jpg
5328_1193418908440_6166013_n.jpg (16.03 KiB) Viewed 1367 times

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:36 pm

IN BETWEEN THERE WAS An Autodynamic mk5 and a PSR .FV AND A Lynx ..... now about the other cars the Bug eye was and is the most fun to drive .the most challenging is the Europa as it is a formula F for the streetwith the Renault engine the car is a treat ,nicly balanced chassis at 250 pounds for the drive train ...with the TC lump the added weight makes for an oversteering piece of dung for 10 added hp I added 40 DCOE and headers and have as much grunt as a TC both the 7 and the elan have the TC and balance is not as critical as the europa ...... the 7 results in a sore back all summer as the rear axle kicks you in the ass at every bump as you sit over the axle even with shocks on soft its more like shocks on stun ---the Elan is softer but both turn in well and handle the transition to the apex and accelleration out on the line well...both could use a 5 th gear for highway driving but both are fun in the twisty bits .the 7 draws more thumbs up on the road and people think its a hot rod Morgan or MGTD as for the elan all the Miata drivers wave at you, if you can stand that buy one ;;,the 7 is a hairy chested beast to live with it leaks water in and is rough riding as a buck board the elan is a little more sophisticated but they are both British and arriving at your destination is always a pleasant surprise ,,,now about the vees . we still use the 1200 displacement and put it in a 1600 block and use ducting for engine cooling over the barrels -- -we use Zero roll and a very soft front end ---we also use a hi performance street tire to minimise tire costs. One set can last 3 years and not go off . the lap times are 2 seconds off a slick but everyone has the same disadvantage ----what happens over there ---ed
Last edited by twincamman on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 5 times in total.

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:01 pm

the Miatas are are a recognized class in SCCA and to watch 50 or 60 take the track iis daunting ....at a small track the front two are on the front staight as the last ones are entering the track on a 2 and a half mile track when they all get the green DONT STAND TOO CLOSE TO THE RAIL UNTIL IT S CHECKERED they also run in H prod class . ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:45 pm

Scan.jpg and
the autodynamic mk 5 with a siezed motor ---they wouldnt believe me

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Karter7 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:37 am

Hi guys,
Thanks and keep the replies coming!

Ed, we run 2 historic classes here in Australia for historic Vee.1965-75, 1975-85.
We run to pre 1985 rules that were used here. We basically run standard 40hp motors. Drum brakes. See website for details.
http://www.historicveeaustralia.com/
My car is an Elfin which was made in South Australia. Very simple and effective. Fantastic handling.

Yes the 7 does turn a lot of heads. I find it very tiring over a couple of hours. Drove it up the coast over the last few days, but always worry about the return weather! Don't like them in the rain.
Personally, out and out performance is really not that important for road use. I live very close to the city, so there is very little opportunity to stretch any car legs. Hence the race cars!

Regards Daniel
Attachments
IMG_1471 (640x427).jpg and
Currently driving!
1994 MX-5
1985 Elfin Fvee
1968 Lotus 51 FF
1963 Elan S1
Karter7
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:08 am

Pretty much the same basic rules ..we use 12volt dry call batteries on the 6 volt starter ..fires right up ....the old ducting rule was over come by ducting the engine through the fan shroud opening and eventually using the Lynx ducts ...go to f1200 association for rules here . I suffered serious damage in 2002 ending my competive driving but still stay active at the race shop ...google Vallis racing ...I think your rules allow zero rear roll suspension . Z bars are ok but get antsy at the limit zero roll stays more composed . .the fastest way to the front is to find someone as quick or slightly faster and hook to his rear transaxle DO NOT PASS OR RACE EACH OTHER ...draft and do not pass .....you will run down the front runners quickly then you are in the shuffle -----you only have to lead the last hundred feet to win we have 2 or 3 trains each race fir position ....the twits who pass and repass with no purpose are way behind everybody ...ed

twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: