Hi, new member in Dorset

PostPost by: JohnH20 » Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:01 pm

I am a current Lotus Elise owner having owned 2 over a 10 year period. I have been active on track days with both Elises and other cars but in my advancing years it is a case of ' been there done that'. I am now looking forward to fulfilling a teenage dream of owning an original Elan. Having built my own track car I am reasonably ok with spanners, sheet metal work and fibreglass ( not so great with electrics ! ) so I think I can handle 50 year old car. I have got the restoration book but to be honest that might be step too far at my age so I am starting to look for something to tinker with and improve rather than a major restoration. No fixed ideas yet on Elan or Plus 2 both have their attractions so I will be following topics on here to help me decide.
JohnH20
New-tral

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Oct 27, 2024 12:41 am

Welcome John!
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Oct 27, 2024 7:25 am

John,

Unless you have a burning desire to restore a car, buying a drivable example makes a lot of sense. The challenge is finding something that actually is drivable, and isn't in desperate need of renovation.

There was a period in history when the Elans didn't get the attention they deserved, or where hacked about by home DIYers, and many a drivable example is a horror show under the surface. The mechanicals usually survived OK, but the wiring can be an ongoing problem. The wiring was substandard from new, and there are many threads on this forum of owners trying to unpick bodges done by previous owners.

Having said that, the prices of used cars seem to have softened, and the cost of restoration gets higher and higher, so from an economic perspective, paying up for a good driveable example can be a good decision.

Good luck.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (still being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: