PostPost by: Jason B » Wed Oct 23, 2024 5:15 pm

I seems I have to post a few things before being properly active on this site so I thought I would tell you why I am here.
I have had a 45 year long Elan itch and finally scratched it recently by buying a S4SE DHC that I came across on an auction site. I wasn't even looking for an Elan, I saw it whilst browsing for something else and the itch got itchier. I ended up it buying it sight unseen, never having so much as sat in an Elan , let alone driven one. I was a bit disconcerted by the auction description saying it would not suit anyone over 6ft as I am 6'4" and not as svelte as I used to be.
So turning up to collect it, I was a little bit nervous, what if if was a dog? I could see in the photos that the paint was not exactly showroom but it was described as mechanically strong. What if I didn't fit in? Worse still, what if after waiting all those years I did not like it?
Anyway the big day came, I turned up with a trailer just in case, but intended to drive it back. The lady at the auction said that was brave. I went into the big shed to look at the other cars from the sale waiting to be collected and then step outside and there it was. The paint really is scabby! It took a while to get the roof off, even longer to find the handbrake, tried to adjust the bullet mirrors so I could see something useful but gave up and fastened static seat belts for the first time in 40 years (on a car at least). Then I couldn't put it off any longer- would it start? Well yes , but only just and then it sounded like a bag of spanners, with an idle as lumpy as my wife's custard.
I decide it needed some new fuel and a bit of a thrash , so 200 yards to the nearest garage and pulled onto the forecourt sounding like an old banger so people stared. This took me back 28 years to when I picked up my brand new Elise. At the first garage I pulled in then everyone was looking as Elises were so new and I was feeling pretty proud - right up until I fell into a heap trying to get out. I looked behind (in the windscreen rear view of course) to see my wife grinning and the doubt grew.
Too late now, push on. Out onto the A49 (lovely countryside but a busy road) and into the trafffic, more kangarooing, so that's what they mean about rotoflex windup. Gradually the car warmed up and I began to push it and it came alive. Feed it through the bends taking a motorbike line as it is so narrow, getting used to much softer suspension than other sports cars but now it is talking to me and I like what it is saying. The engine was growling away and just sounded better the harder I revved it.
An analogue experience in a digital world and I fell in love. That often ends up being expensive and I am sure it will this time too.
So how does it feel when you scratch a 45 year itch? Pretty damn fine!
Jason B
New-tral

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Oct 23, 2024 5:21 pm

Cool
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Oct 23, 2024 5:33 pm

Welcome to the madhouse - how about some pictures?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Wed Oct 23, 2024 5:34 pm

Welcome to the addiction. There's no 12 step program and everyone here is either co-dependent or an enabler!
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:32 pm

Great story. Welcome.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jason B » Wed Oct 23, 2024 8:05 pm

20240918_175903.jpg and
JonB wrote:Welcome to the madhouse - how about some pictures?

Hi Jon
Here it is in the pub the following day, looking a bit lost in the parking space. In the five weeks I have had it I have done over 300 miles (of my annual 1500 I told the insurers). I am waiting to be able message you about your contact for new dashboards and this post should get me over the line.

Thanks
Jason B
New-tral

PostPost by: Jason B » Wed Oct 23, 2024 8:08 pm

By the way can anyone guess the colour? It was described by the auction as French Blue but from pictures I have seen it looks more like one called Royal Blue, havent tried matching the data plate yet

Thanks
Jason B
New-tral

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Wed Oct 23, 2024 8:40 pm

Definitely not French Blue.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Ray419G » Wed Oct 23, 2024 9:27 pm

Jason,

It looks like Royal Blue to me, (same colour as my Elan), if it is the original colour then the data plate should be marked with the code LO9

Ray.
Ray419G
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Wed Oct 23, 2024 10:01 pm

Welcome…
I think this elan was for sale near me, so when you say the A49 near Chester(ish).

Cheers
Mark
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jason B » Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:42 am

Ray419G wrote:Jason,

It looks like Royal Blue to me, (same colour as my Elan), if it is the original colour then the data plate should be marked with the code LO9

Ray.

Thanks Ray, that is helpful
Jason B
New-tral

PostPost by: Jason B » Thu Oct 24, 2024 9:43 am

mark030358 wrote:Welcome…
I think this elan was for sale near me, so when you say the A49 near Chester(ish).

Cheers
Mark

It was sold by Brightwells in Hereford, I think the owner lived further south, I live north of Hereford
Jason B
New-tral

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Oct 24, 2024 10:55 am

Welcome to the addiction!
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: