Scotland recommendations

PostPost by: SENC » Sun May 15, 2022 4:43 pm

My son will be attending University of Glasgow for a Master of Science in Management starting Sept 2022 through the same time 2023. We're beginning to plan a visit next summer - June or July - and I'd love some recommendations and suggestions from those of you who know Scotland.

We're not yet certain how long we'll stay, but likely at least 2 weeks. The only "definites" are Islay (Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig are my favorites) and Iona (to visit the abbey). We tend to enjoy getting off the beaten path and are more than happy to do so to see something r stay somewhere unique, or to get a locals experience. We're hoping one or both daughters (21 and 25) can join us.

What are your must-sees/must-dos in Scotland? Any reason we should pursue June over July, or vice versa?

Henry
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sun May 15, 2022 7:36 pm

Whatever you do avoid midge season, deeply unpleasant.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bramble111s » Sun May 15, 2022 9:02 pm

Lochleven sea food cafe and the road around the loch is good too.

Applecross pass, eat in the walled garden cafe, past applecross village.

Ardnamurchen point, better if the lighthouse is open, (closed last time we went).

Drive Glen Coe, best at sunset or rise.
climb the mountain too for the view.

Avoid Glenn Coe hotel, go to tiny cafe in town instead.

Crinan hotel relaxed and always good. You may need to book even in bar. Their son did/does boat trips which we have never had time for but look good family fun.

This is all West Coast, which is where my favourite roads are.

Going all the way to Ullapool is worth it for the driving.
bramble111s
New-tral

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Sun May 15, 2022 10:46 pm

Hi Henry,

As a fellow American, albeit a Yank, I certainly have little standing to make a recommendation, but that has never stopped me before.

In 2017, the LOUTS (that's Lotus Owners Up To Something) arranged a loop of the UK for my wife and me and part of that was the North Coast 500. https://www.northcoast500.com/

Best trip I have ever taken outside the US. Do it!! :D :D
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Mon May 16, 2022 3:04 am

Hi Henry,
Have been to Applecross as per Bramble’s post. Applecross is on the North Coast 500 route as per Ross’s post. Haven’t done the entire route, but it is on our list.
Have also been to Islay, and visited the peaty distilleries, as you mention. Also been to Iona. Great places to visit.
A trip also worth the effort. Leaving from Oban, take the ferry to Barra Island, and island hop the Outer Hebrides all the way to Stornoway. Then a ferry to Skye, and onto Applecross etc.
Sounds like a great opportunity to see some really rugged parts of Scotland.
Cheers Colin.

quote="SENC"]My son will be attending University of Glasgow for a Master of Science in Management starting Sept 2022 through the same time 2023. We're beginning to plan a visit next summer - June or July - and I'd love some recommendations and suggestions from those of you who know Scotland.

We're not yet certain how long we'll stay, but likely at least 2 weeks. The only "definites" are Islay (Ardbeg, Lagavulin, and Laphroaig are my favorites) and Iona (to visit the abbey). We tend to enjoy getting off the beaten path and are more than happy to do so to see something r stay somewhere unique, or to get a locals experience. We're hoping one or both daughters (21 and 25) can join us.

What are your must-sees/must-dos in Scotland? Any reason we should pursue June over July, or vice versa?

Henry[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon May 16, 2022 8:01 am

Got to go to Duns and visit the Jim Clarke museum

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bombay Racing Green » Mon May 16, 2022 8:02 am

Hi Henry,

I’m a Glasgow Graduate and can assure you that your son will have a great time there. There’s plenty to do in the city and the locals are very friendly despite the reputation. The Museum of Transport is worth a visit down by the river. You can take the train up to the Kyle of Lochalsh (the Harry Potter line) and then onto Skye or visit Eilean Donan castle (you’ll recognise it from several movies). My first job in the Navy was as a Navigator on a ship based in the West of Scotland. Stunning scenery but pack a good rain jacket and plenty of midge repellent! Tobermory and Oban are very picturesque. A trip out to Staffa to see Fingal’s cave (the Scottish side of the Giant’s Causeway) is another option. There’s a Seafood festival in Tarbert in July if you’re interested. Edinburgh and St.Andrews are very touristy but still worth a visit. If you are interested in Castles then Scotland has a lot of them! Check out the National Trust of Scotland website. https://www.nts.org.uk/. That should be a good starting point for places to visit.

I guess you’ll be flying from Charlotte direct but if you fly from PHL, IAD, EWR, JFK or BOS with the my lot (Aer Lingus, shameless plug!) then You can clear USCBP in Dublin (or Shannon) on your way home which makes things a lot easier. Pm me if you have any further questions.

Good luck!
Pete
1970 S4 DHC
1971 S2 Europa
1968 +2
Bombay Racing Green
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: jono » Mon May 16, 2022 8:30 am

Hi Henry,

Whilst Scotland is stunningly beautiful, especially the west coast, Glasgow is only an hour or so from the border for Cumbria and the English Lakes (Beatrix Potter and all that) and so it's worth a day trip or two down here, we even have our own distillery!

https://www.lakesdistillery.com/blog/20 ... ngle-malt/

As Rohan has already noted it's well worth a visit to the Jim Clark museum and if you hire a car a drive through the Borders is always an event.

Cheers

Jon
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Mon May 16, 2022 12:22 pm

Excellent feedback, thank you all. I'll begin plotting things out on a map and thinking through logistics, lodging, etc. - then will likely be back for more advice and guidance.

I was not aware of midge season, but after researching it a bit it seems that is likely to be worst in July/Aug, so we should target May through early June as our best window for avoiding them. Does that sound right?
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Mon May 16, 2022 2:38 pm

The midges up the west coast side of Scotland as others have said can make your life miserable. If travelling up there I personally aim to go before before the second week in June, after that they can sometimes really spoil your holiday anytime well into September.
This site I find useful:-
https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast/

Alan.
Alan
'71 +2 S130/ 5speed Type9.
alanr
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Slowtus » Mon May 16, 2022 4:47 pm

And for a bit of 'different' scenery visit https://www.nts.org.uk/visit/places/the ... hill-house (just outside Glasgow) and have an afternoon tea in Glasgow at https://www.willowtearooms.co.uk/
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: