Emira reveal live

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Tue Jul 06, 2021 7:16 pm

Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:23 pm

Nice car without a doubt - an upgraded Elise using Exige power, it will be a powerhouse. Fine for the enthusiastic track day person, but will not attract the older Evora customer. They have in essence pushed us out unless we can afford the Evija :D

I shall be watching the C8 closely when they start to hit the used market...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Tue Jul 06, 2021 11:00 pm

An interesting presentation but I will miss the future lack of ICE driven power trains in the cars.

I am prejudiced from having driven my Elan for 58 years now. Long lie the twink !!!

Happy to see that they finally have installed the most important, necessary interior creature comfort accessory though (cupholders), I made a pair for my Type 26 twenty years ago.

Sticks and Ice !!

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: SENC » Wed Jul 07, 2021 1:53 am

Cheesy unveiling, but a beautiful car!
Henry
69 Elan S4
65 Seven S2
SENC
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:15 am

Plus 1 to that Henry.

I know what I'll be replacing my Elise with.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:55 am

With the Emira being smaller that the Evora, it appears to come in heavier at 1404kgs which I do not understand.

Whilst Lotus have done well to tie up with Mercedes to use their 139 engine, I see that Mercedes are only giving them the detuned 360bhp option (understandable as they will wish to protect the dominance of the A45's 420bhp) which is actually quite sedate and will only give a 4.5 second time to 100kph. This compares to 3.7 seconds from the Mercedes A45 and 3.7 seconds from the Exige. I can see a lot of people taking their new creation onto the track being a bit disappointed with the older daily driver Exiges running rings around them and maybe just keeping up with the Elises.

I cannot see anywhere what state of tune the alternative Toyota 350 alternative will be. If it is the current 420bhp tune, then maybe a more preferable option despite the M139 being state of the art technology.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JohnP » Wed Jul 07, 2021 7:48 am

Lovely looking and comfortable car, but the post above sent me to look at my Series 1 Elise Certificate of Conformity.
Elise S1 mass ready to drive: 839 kg.
Emira mass about: 1400 kg

For the drivers, that is quite a big difference.
JohnP
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:27 am

Lovely car, 5 years too late.
Truly awful launch in every single way, carfection's review is far superior:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1H_Wd1tN-A
Last edited by LaikaTheDog on Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:55 am

The Emira is fractionally bigger than the Evora in all directions so it’s not an Elise exige replacement rather an Evora update/replacement.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Jul 07, 2021 12:46 pm

:D :D

I read it as smaller! And if heavier and lower bhp, then Lotus are going backwards!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:18 pm

Lifted the following from the Auto Express website

The Emira is 4,412mm long and 1,895mm wide – around 20mm longer and 10mm wider than the Evora.

There will be a choice of two engines. The more potent unit is a familiar one – the 3.5-litre supercharged V6 from Toyota that was previously used in the Evora and Exige. This will form the basis of the ‘First Edition’ models that will lead the car’s launch; Lotus dealers are taking deposits now, and first deliveries should arrive in spring 2022.

By summer of next year the car will also be offered with a four-cylinder turbocharged Mercedes-AMG motor. Codenamed M139, this is the most powerful production engine of its type, producing as much as 415bhp in the A 45 S AMG hot hatch, although it will get a new air intake and a bespoke exhaust in this sports car. AMG has been confirmed as a full technical partner in the project.

Lotus hasn’t issued specific outputs yet, but it says the Emira will offer between 355bhp and 395bhp. The V6 is likely to be the more potent of the engines at launch, but given tightening emissions rules in key markets, its life is likely to be shorter than the Emira’s overall. Lotus could then ramp up the power of the M139 for faster four-cylinder versions of the car in due course.

The Emira will be rear-wheel drive only and offered with a choice of manual and automatic gearboxes on the V6, and a dual-clutch auto only on the 2.0-litre model. The car will hit 62mph in less than four seconds and reach up to 180mph, while its CO2 emissions will start at less than 180g/km.

There will be two chassis and suspension configurations. Tour is claimed to deliver typical Lotus dynamics while introducing greater comfort, while Sports brings a stiffer suspension set-up for better on-track capability. The power steering is a hydraulic system, designed to offer better feedback.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:24 pm

I think Lotus has kept ICE open for a few more years.

I am sure there are/will be some fantastic ways to make her ultralight.

I am glad they did not design it for having batteries.
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:03 pm

Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mark030358 » Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:10 pm

So I put a deposit on one around 2 months ago. Not sure that I'm goinf to spend it now as I'm rather disappointd at the power outputs. This will for sure grow as the cars get older, even if they say it won't, it will. I was burnt buying a 380 Sport Exige then when 430 Cup came out, when they told me no, definatley no more. So I'll bide my time..... Lotus have form for this.

Lovely looking thing, but deep down I'm thinking it could be a Jag.... will need to see one in th flesh.

cheers
mark030358
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Donels » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:15 pm

I was disappointed by the Emira. It looks like it’s an updated Evora with an additional engine option. After all the build up I was expecting something special. Nothing wrong with an Evora, they’re a fine car and I'm sure the Emira will be. It's just marketing hype to launch a Mk2 Evora.

I also hear that Lotus are hoping to sell the Elise/Exige tooling. A bit like they did with the Lotus 7 to Caterham, so we may be able to get a new Elise just not made by Lotus.
Elan +2
Elise mk 1
Donels
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Next

Total Online: