Trailer strap configuration

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:26 pm

Hi John,
Here is the website for the trailer. I borrow the trailer from a friend, as I only tow the Elan once every two years to the biennial Lotus get together. Lotus 2021 was cancelled, so we are doing it, hopefully, next year. It is the NSW club’s turn to put the event together, and have chosen a drive around Tasmania as the venue. We will tow the Elan from Surfers Paradise QLD, to Melbourne Victoria (1700 km), leave the trailer and tow car there, and catch the overnight ferry to Tasmania. Really looking forward to getting out and about again.
I think the cost of the single axle trailer is about AUD 4500. The trailer is rock steady at 110 kph.
Cheers Colin.

https://www.tiltatrailer.com.au/trailers/

quote="baileyman"]That Tilta is beautiful. I do not think there is anything comparable in the USA. I would modify a small motorboat tilting trailer to do the same thing, but those also seem no longer available, but common in the 60s. John[/quote]
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:02 am

dunclentdr1 wrote:Thanks for all the advice.

I think tie down using the front towing point and then form the outer of the lower suspension arms or through the wheels may be the way I go.

David

Tieing down using the front tow point or any other chassis connection point means that the tie down length will change as the car bounces on its suspension. This puts oscillating loads into the tie down system and may cause it to stretch and come loose.

Thats why its desirable to tie down around the tyres or wheels or the outer end of the lower suspension arm leaving the car free to move on its own suspension. I also like two independent front and two independent rear tie downs so if something goes wrong with one I at least have the other. I like each of the tie downs to have a rated breaking strain of about 4 times the total weight of the Elan i.e. around 2500kg to 3000 kg in horizontal loading

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 6:20 am

I have a Brian James 'Sprint Shuttle' trailer -

[url]https://www.brianjames.co.uk/uploads/168058/2ec3_2019q1_shut_uk_v1[web].pdf[/url]

Access down the side of the car is tricky, access to the front is possible through the small door, and the back is wide open. This possibly drove my choice of tie-down points (through the rear wheels and the front towing loop).

In answer to Rohan's point, the front strap is almost horizontal when in place (the car is lowered and the attachment point on the trailer is quite a way forward of the front of the car. As a result, suspension movement is not constrained, the strap is only preventing the car moving backwards.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:07 am

I only use straps over the tyres, or if necessary out most points of rear wishbones, I do not do this in front as limited space.

Using the towing point on the chassis, which moves on the springs, will result in the tie downs loosening and car moving around. I have a safety strap attached to the towing point as a backup only, and its snug but not tight.
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:57 am

Andy8421 wrote:I have a Brian James 'Sprint Shuttle' trailer -

[url]https://www.brianjames.co.uk/uploads/168058/2ec3_2019q1_shut_uk_v1[web].pdf[/url]

Access down the side of the car is tricky, access to the front is possible through the small door, and the back is wide open. This possibly drove my choice of tie-down points (through the rear wheels and the front towing loop).

In answer to Rohan's point, the front strap is almost horizontal when in place (the car is lowered and the attachment point on the trailer is quite a way forward of the front of the car. As a result, suspension movement is not constrained, the strap is only preventing the car moving backwards.

Andy.

With a long horizontal front tie down then suspension movement would not affect it much. Also if get hit in the rear and the tie down fails then the Elans ends up on the bonnet of who hit you rather than through your back window. I would still like two front tie downs for redundancy :)

cheers
Rohan

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:06 pm

+1 to Rohan. This is probably the most important information yet, and the most dangerous situation. Having what your towing on top of you.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: