My Lotus journey continues...

PostPost by: jono » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:57 am

JonB wrote:Thanks Veg!

I always liked the bright yellow Lotuses. I'm not sure what this colour is called; it's definitely not Norfolk Mustard as appeared on the early S1s; that was a flat colour and this is metallic. But it looks pretty good to me.

N

..Solar Yellow?
jono
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:27 am

JonB wrote:So now, the conundrum.

This car has unusually low mileage - 9500 to be precise. And it is almost museum grade condition. I intend to drive it, but over the winter I think it'll be laid up in my garage which, despite my best efforts, still gets damp in winter, and in summer it's an oven. What is the most cost effective way of preserving a stored car? I'm thinking a tent or heated cocoon.

Jon, I use an Air Chamber for a couple of cars, and they really are superb. Very similar to the Carcoon with frame, so you can drive in an out of it without having to faff around putting it together and pumping it up every time you get the car in and out.

It keeps the car perfectly clean of course, and everything stays nice and dry with the fans on. Actually, I forgot to put the fans on with one car this year and it's still fine.

I would get some insulation in the garage to avoid the extremes of hot and cold with such a car, which does look gorgeous by the way. The cold hasn't affected my cars stored in the chambers in the past 5 or so years I've used them.

Mark
Attachments
20181031 2small.JPG and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:40 pm

Looks like Solar Yellow
My comment from the worlds only inland temperate rainforest is, dry roof and feet. I use a garage floor coating so moisture doesnt come up. A dehumidifier only works if its warm enough, and there is much more moisture in the atmosphere in the summer.

You could also just park it on plastic, and make the cocoon for the winter.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:08 pm

The paint code is B36. This has several names:

• Mustard Yellow (a Lotus paint code doc I found, also on SELOC)
• New Lotus Yellow (Spice) (Dupont designation)
• New Mustard Yellow Metallic (Random Amazon ad for B36 touch up paint)
• Probably a bunch of others I can’t be arsed to hunt down!

..and, it is pearlescent. Expensive.

I'm going to look into those car tents and I already considered some insulation as the garage has none. It gets like an oven in the Summer, so at least some roof panels are called for, in Selotec or something similar. Air chamber looks cost effective, if I can fit the car in the smallest one. Fingers crossed.. I'll have to do some measuring!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:50 pm

I bought a Cair O Port for my Elan which I never got to use. I’m tempted to sell it now!
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:21 pm

You can PM me an asking price and the dimensions of the thing once erected, if you like. I had a very quick look on their web site, and it appears the small one is too big for my garage (which is big enough for a Ford S-Max)... but maybe yours is smaller?
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:36 pm

YHM. I think that might be their current range.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Concrete-crusher » Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:16 am

Hi Jon, I also bought an elise 111 early s2 last year, I added it to my existing policy and was shocked at the extra nearly £300 for 7 months, who did you get your quote from, as a matter of interest? I might try them

Steve
Concrete-crusher
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:18 am

Hi Steve

As you know it depends on your age and experience as well as the car. I'll PM you my insurance parameters as i don't wnat to expose personal details on a public forum.

Cheers
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: